Learn about us and introduce yourself
#61912 by daisy555 Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:48 am
Thanks to you and your wonderful site, I have avoided being the victim of an apartment rental scam by none other than Luis Stone. I found information on this site about him.
I found his rental Ad on Craigslist, and he has an amazing apartment for rent in a Oshawa, Ontario.
" $600/ 2br - 1000sq ft. - condition very good!!! fully furnished..Parking + Storage (Oshawa) (see Pics)"

The photos are amazing, and i realized when he sent me the address that it was a scam. Not that I didn't suspect by his reply emails, but this confirmed it. He says he is the owner of an apartment (in a building that is rental only, because I know where the apartment is), and the photos suggest an apartment other than in the building he says it is in. I went to the website of the address he listed and boy are the photos on their website vastly different from the ones he sent me.
He also says he is in England now working. And I got this long email telling me about him and his wife (pregnant) and his child.
Thanks to you and your crack team for alerting me to the obvious.
How many times do I have to say to myself...if it sounds too good...
If you would like me to post the photos I will...it might be your house lol.
Daisy
Advertisement

#61917 by daisy555 Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:11 am
Oh Man, silly me, yes of course.
I sent the email to myself as well when I answered the ad and asked questions.
The ad that I replied to had an email address of [email protected] and when he replied to my inquiries the email address was [email protected]. He is currently waiting for a reply from us as to whether or not we want to look at the apartment. We are thinking of playing with him. That wouldn't be nice now would it.
Do you think the police should be advised?
Daisy
#61919 by Justin Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:44 am
Thanks for posting that!

It's not wise to play with him if he has any real details about you like a real email address. What you are talking about is called baiting. It should only be done with completely fake details. You can go to our sister site 419eater.com to learn more.

Just send an email to the scanner saying you found another apartment and then ignore his replies.

#62174 by MadameSarge Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:41 am
These are the emails we got from Luis Stone. We almost got scammed by him too here in Edmonton Alberta Canada as he has one here too. The address is right but it is a condo complex not sure what unit number. Very bad side of Edmonton.

$670 / 2br - 1000ft² - impeccable area (central)..Condo..+parking (10115 108 Ave NW Edmonton)

Hi! Here are a few pictures of my apartment... Please check the attached file!

I appreciate your interest in renting my apartment... I must apologize for the long email that i send you, but renting it is important to you, and I want to try and give you some insight into who I am and about the home you are renting.

My name is Luis Stone and I'm the owner of the apartment, I love this apartment and it means a lot to me. It looks exactly like in the pictures. The apartment is paid in full and with NO legal problem, I am telling you this because with this financial crisis there are many apartments with problems.

The apartment is very close, in walking distance to local transport, bus, etc. with very quiet neighbors and area. Minutes away from downtown, close to school, transit and shopping. Drive way parking, affordably priced, clean mature neighbors seeking same in tenant. Great neighbors!

It has just been renovated, totally finished, flexible lease, is nice, clean, quiet, has all the facilities and the utilities a man needs including electric Utility, Cable TV, Parking, Laundry in the bldg, Air conditioning, high speed internet, workout facility, well behaved pets are allowed.

Accommodation Features:

Wood Floor
Heater
Central Heating
Equiped Kitchen
Tv: Cable/Satellite TV
Video/Stereo
Internet
Air Conditioning
Full Kitchen
Refrigerator
Garage/Car park
Pets allowed

Kitchen Features:

Washing machine
Juice Machine
Iron
Toaster
Oven
Dishwasher
Coffee Maker
Microwave
Refrigerator
Stove

The apartment is fully furnished, but I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own (no extra costs). It comes with a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want use your furniture).

The renting period is from 5 months up to 3 years (the longer the better). The rent for 1 month is $670.00 (for the whole apartment). The all utilities are included in this price (rent/month), utilities are about $60.00-$80.00/month.

As a result of this I want to rent it, for this period, at this price and also to find the perfect person for my apartment. I just want to find the proper tenant, someone who will treat and care my apartment like it was his own.

I'm looking forward to rent it as soon as possible, I need the money and I must do that... $670.00 is a good deal. Don't miss out on this bundle opportunity! We can make the deal happen right away.

What I need to know about you:

1. Your full name

2. Your full address & phone number

3. How old are you

4. Are you married

5. How many people will be living in the house

6. Do you have a pet

7. Do you have a car

8. Occupation

9. I will like to know the exact date you will like to move into the apartment

10. How long do you want to stay in my house

11. Reason for moving out of current home

Please send me an e-mail with the information I requested. If you are interested in the apartment, describe yourself so i can have an idea about you and the people that will be living in my apartment.

I will select a candidate out of the e-mails that I will receive. I really need to take care of this matter by the end of the next week.

Sincerely,
Luis Stone

8 Attached files|297KB

Jeremy,

Thanks for the info. I would like to tell you a little bit about myself now!

I'm a mature individual, very sincere, respectable and love friending new people. I am a caring person who believes in taking good care of things. I am currently 45 years old and married. My wife's name is Tamara (she is 6 months pregnant) and have one daughter that is 5 years old. I work hard for my family. I am very career focused and will be spending a lot of my time at the office.

I resided in the apartment with my family. I lived in it for over 5 years, loved every day of it. I spent a lot on my property that I want to give you for rent, so I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this apartment and want you to treat it as your own, is that taken, I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that I will be glad to see it neat when I come for a check up.

Right now I`m out of town, I'm in London, England. I got the opportunity to open a franchise ( a small business ) in London, England. We've tried to develop a family business but unfortunately the things didn't work the way we've expected and now I am at one step from losing my market.

I had all my family moved here for 3 years. I want to start a new life here, in 3 years I will decide if I will keep that apt, and get back in town or if I will sell it and move forever in England.

This is the second time I tried to rent the apartment... I had a deal with somebody before who said he will rent the apartment if I come back... So i got a plane ticket, and guess what? When I arrived there, he didn't show up and after 2 days he gave me a call and said that he is sorry but he can't rent it anymore... How do i know if you have enough money?!

Please DO NOT REPLY to this e-mail if you don't have the amount available, or if you don't intend to be serious! So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally, but now I don't want to buy another plane ticket to come and fall for it once more, maybe you wont show up. I don't have time to play games with other people.

The apartment is unoccupied, you can move in the same day or whenever you are ready. The lease is flexible, can be month to month, min stay 6 months.

I have found a way for us to complete the deal safe and fast, and in this way you will receive the keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. I think this is the best and safest way for the two of us.
This is a 100% safe method!

There's a return policy so you will have the chance to inspect it before final decision. You will see it and decide if you will stay in the apartment or not before I receive my payment.

If you are interested in it mail me back and I am sure that we will find a good way to conduct this deal.

Sincerely,
Luis

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Catherine Sargefield <[email protected]> wrote:
1. Your full name Our names are Jeremy and Catherine Sargefield

2. Your full address & phone number Address now is 1192 Knottwood Rd Edmonton AB T6K 2J8 and phone number is 780-231-1806

3. How old are you We are 29 almost 30 and 35 yrs old

4. Are you married We are married

5. How many people will be living in the house there will be 2 living there

6. Do you have a pet No pets

7. Do you have a car No vehicle

8. Occupation Self employed with Pre Paid Legal

9. I will like to know the exact date you will like to move into the apartment Immediately

10. How long do you want to stay in my house 1 yr - 5 yrs

11. Reason for moving out of current home at a friends who can't house us too much longer

We would love to move here and look at it. When can we look at it and move in?

To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:40:11 AM

Subject: $670 / 2br - 1000ft² - impeccable area (central)..Condo..+parking (10115 108 Ave NW Edmonton) (See PICS)

I appreciate your interest in renting my apartment... I must apologize for the long email that i send you, but renting it is important to you, and I want to try and give you some insight into who I am and about the home you are renting.

My name is Luis Stone and I'm the owner of the apartment, I love this apartment and it means a lot to me. It looks exactly like in the pictures. The apartment is paid in full and with NO legal problem, I am telling you this because with this financial crisis there are many apartments with problems.

The apartment is very close, in walking distance to local transport, bus, etc. with very quiet neighbors and area. Minutes away from downtown, close to school, transit and shopping. Drive way parking, affordably priced, clean mature neighbors seeking same in tenant. Great neighbors!

It has just been renovated, totally finished, flexible lease, is nice, clean, quiet, has all the facilities and the utilities a man needs including electric Utility, Cable TV, Parking, Laundry in the bldg, Air conditioning, high speed internet, workout facility, well behaved pets are allowed.

Accommodation Features:

Wood Floor
Heater
Central Heating
Equiped Kitchen
Video/Stereo
Internet
Air Conditioning
Full Kitchen
Refrigerator
Garage/Car park
Pets allowed

Kitchen Features:

Washing machine
Juice Machine
Iron
Toaster
Oven
Dishwasher
Coffee Maker
Microwave
Refrigerator
Stove

The apartment is fully furnished, but I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own (no extra costs). It comes with a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want use your furniture).

The renting period is from 5 months up to 3 years (the longer the better). The rent for 1 month is $670.00 (for the whole apartment). The all utilities are included in this price (rent/month), utilities are about $60.00-$80.00/month.

As a result of this I want to rent it, for this period, at this price and also to find the perfect person for my apartment. I just want to find the proper tenant, someone who will treat and care my apartment like it was his own.

I'm looking forward to rent it as soon as possible, I need the money and I must do that... $670.00 is a good deal. Don't miss out on this bundle opportunity! We can make the deal happen right away.

1. Your full name

3. How old are you

4. Are you married

6. Do you have a pet

7. Do you have a car

8. Occupation

Please send me an e-mail with the information I requested. If you are interested in the apartment, describe yourself so i can have an idea about you and the people that will be living in my apartment.

I will select a candidate out of the e-mails that I will receive. I really need to take care of this matter by the end of the next week.

Sincerely,
Luis Stone
#62175 by MadameSarge Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:41 am
These are the emails we got from Luis Stone. We almost got scammed by him too here in Edmonton Alberta Canada as he has one here too. The address is right but it is a condo complex not sure what unit number. Very bad side of Edmonton.

$670 / 2br - 1000ft² - impeccable area (central)..Condo..+parking (10115 108 Ave NW Edmonton)

Accommodation Features:

Wood Floor
Heater
Central Heating
Equiped Kitchen
Video/Stereo
Internet
Air Conditioning
Full Kitchen
Refrigerator
Garage/Car park
Pets allowed

Kitchen Features:

Washing machine
Juice Machine
Iron
Toaster
Oven
Dishwasher
Coffee Maker
Microwave
Refrigerator
Stove

1. Your full name

3. How old are you

4. Are you married

6. Do you have a pet

7. Do you have a car

8. Occupation

Sincerely,
Luis Stone

8 Attached files|297KB

Jeremy,

Thanks for the info. I would like to tell you a little bit about myself now!

I'm a mature individual, very sincere, respectable and love friending new people. I am a caring person who believes in taking good care of things. I am currently 45 years old and married. My wife's name is Tamara (she is 6 months pregnant) and have one daughter that is 5 years old. I work hard for my family. I am very career focused and will be spending a lot of my time at the office.

I resided in the apartment with my family. I lived in it for over 5 years, loved every day of it. I spent a lot on my property that I want to give you for rent, so I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this apartment and want you to treat it as your own, is that taken, I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that I will be glad to see it neat when I come for a check up.

Right now I`m out of town, I'm in London, England. I got the opportunity to open a franchise ( a small business ) in London, England. We've tried to develop a family business but unfortunately the things didn't work the way we've expected and now I am at one step from losing my market.

I had all my family moved here for 3 years. I want to start a new life here, in 3 years I will decide if I will keep that apt, and get back in town or if I will sell it and move forever in England.

This is the second time I tried to rent the apartment... I had a deal with somebody before who said he will rent the apartment if I come back... So i got a plane ticket, and guess what? When I arrived there, he didn't show up and after 2 days he gave me a call and said that he is sorry but he can't rent it anymore... How do i know if you have enough money?!

Please DO NOT REPLY to this e-mail if you don't have the amount available, or if you don't intend to be serious! So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally, but now I don't want to buy another plane ticket to come and fall for it once more, maybe you wont show up. I don't have time to play games with other people.

The apartment is unoccupied, you can move in the same day or whenever you are ready. The lease is flexible, can be month to month, min stay 6 months.

I have found a way for us to complete the deal safe and fast, and in this way you will receive the keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. I think this is the best and safest way for the two of us.
This is a 100% safe method!

There's a return policy so you will have the chance to inspect it before final decision. You will see it and decide if you will stay in the apartment or not before I receive my payment.

If you are interested in it mail me back and I am sure that we will find a good way to conduct this deal.

Sincerely,
Luis

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 12:05 AM, wrote:
1. Your full name Our names are Deleted personal information. ~Bubbles

2. Your full address & phone number Address Deleted personal information. ~Bubbles

3. How old are you Deleted personal information. ~Bubbles

4. Are you married We are married

5. How many people will be living in the house there will be 2 living there

6. Do you have a pet No pets

7. Do you have a car No vehicle

8. Occupation Self employed Deleted personal information. ~Bubbles

9. I will like to know the exact date you will like to move into the apartment Immediately

10. How long do you want to stay in my house 1 yr - 5 yrs

11. Reason for moving out of current home at a friends who can't house us too much longer

We would love to move here and look at it. When can we look at it and move in?

To: Deleted personal information. ~Bubbles
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:40:11 AM

Subject: $670 / 2br - 1000ft² - impeccable area (central)..Condo..+parking (10115 108 Ave NW Edmonton) (See PICS)

Accommodation Features:

Wood Floor
Heater
Central Heating
Equiped Kitchen
Video/Stereo
Internet
Air Conditioning
Full Kitchen
Refrigerator
Garage/Car park
Pets allowed

Kitchen Features:

Washing machine
Juice Machine
Iron
Toaster
Oven
Dishwasher
Coffee Maker
Microwave
Refrigerator
Stove

1. Your full name

3. How old are you

4. Are you married

6. Do you have a pet

7. Do you have a car

8. Occupation

Sincerely,
Luis Stone
#62179 by Helen Halper Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:02 am
Hi MadameSarge!
Welcome to scamwarners!
Thanks for posting. I'm sure glad that you weren't taken in by this scammer.
To keep yourself safe, please delete your personal info from your post. :D

#154513 by Xogira Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 pm
And thanks to your post, I was able to tell that I was going through the exact same thing! I already had serious suspicions, but after noting the unmistakable similarities between the two conversations there was no doubt. Luis Stone is now Michael Mcnaught, and lives in Scandinavia. I'll paste the conversation below in hopes that maybe it'll help someone like yours helped me.

Hello!

I appreciate your interest!

My name is Michael Mcnaught and I have a beautiful and immaculate home for $760/month, available immediately. Don't miss out on this opportunity! I think is a good deal!

Check your attached file, I attached a few pictures of it, just so you can have a good idea of what the place looks like.

I'm the owner of this property, I love this apartment and it means alot to me.. I want to try and give you some insight into who I am and about the unit you are renting. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with it, I just want to find the proper tenant, someone who will treat and care my apartment like it was his own.

Attention!

If you are a quiet and responsible tenant, look no further. I believe I have the right apartment for you to move in and make it a home!

This unit has been professionally finished and decorated with a modern color scheme that coordinates throughout, it looks exactly like in the pictures, totally finished, fully furnished and I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own, NO extra costs!
It comes with 2 parking spots and has all the facilities and the utilities: Washing machine, dishwasher, dryer, refrigerator, stove, oven, juice machine, iron, toaster, coffee maker, microwave, vacuum cleaner. Never used Stainless Steel! Storage closets help keep everything organized for you and in it's proper place. Bright windows with a fresh kitchen and bathroom.

No more bills! The all utilities are included in this price (rent/month). No extra fees!

Short or long term lease.. The lease is flexible, can be month to month, min stay 3 months - max 5/6 years. The price will not increase monthly, it will remain the same for the whole period that the contract will be signed for.

I want this rental to be as smooth as possible, I really need to take care of this matter by the end of the next week. I am looking forward to hear from you, so that I can forward you an application form to fill out and discuss on how to get the property for rent.

Please contact me here : [email protected]
* This is my work address, I will be happy to answer you, ASAP.

Respectfully,

Michael Mcnaught

Then, he followed up with this email as well.

xxxxx,

Thanks for responding.

This beautiful apartment is located in a lovely area ( Simcoe and Adelaide - Oshawa ON - 5 minute walk to the hospital and two public parks, and a 3 minute walk to public transit on Simcoe Street. It is also walking distance to the YMCA, downtown and shopping. It is in a quiet residential neighbourhood ), excellent location! The apartment is full furnished, everything is new inside, so please understand me! Due to the high number of thefts from homes, I am very cautious and will not give you this information over email.

You know that the apartment is not inhabited. I hope you understand the importance of safety when it comes to posting something of such value online.

Please do not get me wrong!

First of all, it's important to me to know some details about yourself, because I need a serious and trustworthy person who not only will pay me the rent on time but also will take care and preserve my property.

Please describe yourself if you are really interested, so I can have an idea about you and the people that will be living in my home.

RENTAL APPLICATION :

First name: ___
Last name: ___
Phone: ___
Present occupation: ___
Previous occupation: ___
Personal reference: ___
Single or married: ___
Children: ___
Pets: ___
Smoker: ___
Vehicles: ___
Reason for leaving: ___
Proposed move-in date: ___
How long do you want to stay-in: ___

I have a lot of interested people and I will select a candidate out of the e-mails that I will receive.. I hope you understand that I need to sort them out.

Respectfully,

Michael

If I knew how I'd post the pictures as well, so that this could be more easily identified.
He sent me six, including the one that was posted on the ad (it was just a single bed as seen from outside the door frame. There was a picture directly above it, a modern lamp to the left, and a closet to the right).
One: facing towards a kitchen with white couches in view
Two:The afore mentioned bedroom picture
Three: From standing above the bed above towards the closet
Four: A kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops
Five: Stacked laundry machines
Six: A second bedroom with a mirror-door closet, and nice bed spread w/a black leather like headboard.

Thanks again, and I hope this can help someone else. He/she is definitely still active!

Admin edit: Added quotes for clarity and removed poster's name -Jillian
#154534 by Jillian Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 am
Welcome Xogira. :D We're always thrilled to hear that information posted here continues to help others, even over a year and half later!

Thank you for taking the time to register and post this new information, it will be a wonderful pay-it-forward sort of chain reaction.

If you'd like to add photos to this topic, we have information on how you can do so here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219

Please let us know if you have any questions. :D

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#154573 by rigdriver Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:00 am
[email protected]
Had ad Edmonton Graigs list.. same thing nice furnished unit blah blah blah same as above posted ad.. smelled funy as units in town here dont go that cheap.. googled email addy and found this great place.. its the 3 rd scammer that has replied to me looking for a place.. sad pathetic people... get a job kid//
he also posted a bunch of pics too....

Hello!

I appreciate your interest!

My name is Michael Mcnaught and I have a beautiful and immaculate home for $730/month, available immediately. Don't miss out on this opportunity! I think is a good deal!

Check your attached file, I attached a few pictures of it, just so you can have a good idea of what the place looks like.

I'm the owner of this property, I love this apartment and it means alot to me.. I want to try and give you some insight into who I am and about the unit you are renting. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with it, I just want to find the proper tenant, someone who will treat and care my apartment like it was his own.

Attention!

If you are a quiet and responsible tenant, look no further. I believe I have the right apartment for you to move in and make it a home!

This unit has been professionally finished and decorated with a modern color scheme that coordinates throughout, it looks exactly like in the pictures, totally finished, fully furnished and I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own, NO extra costs!
It comes with 2 parking spots and has all the facilities and the utilities: Washing machine, dishwasher, dryer, refrigerator, stove, oven, juice machine, iron, toaster, coffee maker, microwave, vacuum cleaner. Never used Stainless Steel! Storage closets help keep everything organized for you and in it's proper place. Bright windows with a fresh kitchen and bathroom.

No more bills! The all utilities are included in this price (rent/month). No extra fees!

Short or long term lease.. The lease is flexible, can be month to month, min stay 3 months - max 5/6 years. The price will not increase monthly, it will remain the same for the whole period that the contract will be signed for.

I want this rental to be as smooth as possible, I really need to take care of this matter by the end of the next week. I am looking forward to hear from you, so that I can forward you an application form to fill out and discuss on how to get the property for rent.

Please contact me here : [email protected]
* This is my work address, I will be happy to answer you, ASAP.

Respectfully,

Michael Mcnaught

Love Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran!
#204250 by MysteriousStrangers Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:57 pm
Not only is he living in England, but he is also living in Italy. Received an email about a place, one bedroom fine looking apartment as listed in the previous posts that I read on here. Who travels all the way from Italy just for a viewing? PLEASE beware of the Adelaide/Simcoe apartments. Unless you see the place with your very own eyes and talk to the people that live AT the establishment, do NOT respond or reply. Thankfully, I did not surrender any money, just small pieces of information that cannot really be used against me. They'll also request that you make an ad for their wife's apartment. That was where I got suspicious(the Italy thing got my mind working, but the wife's apartment was a little over the top). Be careful!