Scams selling or giving away non-existent animals, often Puppy Scams.
#36286 by Elidhuu Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:00 pm
I have received emails from [email protected] about a dog I was going to purchase. I was starting to feel odd about the whole thing, everything was seeming to be sketchy all of a sudden. Plus, her grammar was horrendous. I decided to do a search of her IP and found this site.
This is her address:

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 10.227.128.82 as permitted sender) client-ip=10.227.128.82;
Authentication-Results: mr.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 10.227.128.82 as permitted sender) [email protected]; dkim=pass [email protected]
Received: from mr.google.com ([10.227.128.82])
by 10.227.128.82 with SMTP id j18mr3699794wbs.36.1283099245947 (num_hops = 1);

I found out the IP is from the US when she told me it was 3 hours away from me in Cranbrook. This is the same person am I right? I hope so because I sent her back a not so polite email LOL
Advertisement

#36288 by Dotti Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:08 pm
Elidhuu,

Unfortunately, your conclusions were a little mistaken on this one. The IP address would have showed California, because that is google headquarters. Gmail strips the originating IP address and replaces it with their own, regardless of where the email was sent from--so you can't use a google IP to pinpoint location or to connect two different senders.

With that said, however, there are lots of pet scammers out there, and if you are suspicious, it may be for good reason. Can you post (or you can send by PM) some of the messages from the pet seller and we can help you to determine whether you are in fact dealing with a scammer?

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#36312 by Elidhuu Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:01 pm
Hey I didn't get the address and such from google, I got it right from my email. I only found the city was in the US from google lol :P I am PMing you some emails she sent
#36315 by Dotti Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:23 pm
Separating the puppy scammer info into the pet scams thread...

I'm sorry if I was confusing. What I mean is that I assumed you got a location from the IP address in the emails to you. The problem is, this scammer uses gmail (which is Google email). Google takes away the sender's IP address, and replaces it with one of their own IP's which will trace back to California.

Posting here so that google knows that based on the emails, this is a puppy scammer. The poor English, typical storyline and pattern of events, and lack of logic (if the puppy is 3 hours from you, there is no reason to ship it by airplane, plus if it was being shipped by airline, "her" cost claims are way off) all say scammer. Also, there are special health certificate requirements the moment you want to put an animal on a plane, and there is no reference to these in the emails.

This type of scammer often uses a fake delivery company as part of their scam. While we don't encourage deliberately baiting scammers when they have your real life info, if "she" sends you information about the "delivery company" or "escrow service," can you post or PM it so we can see if there are any associated sites or domains that need to be killed?

Also, there is no mention of the breed in the emails you sent--if I go by the odds, I'm guessing yorkie, bulldog, or pug?

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#36323 by Elidhuu Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:36 am
It was actually a Pomeranian and then she emailed me about a Doberman lol? I made a Kijiji post and she replied to it with 2 separate emails, each with a different dog. I'm guessing she didn't know I was the same person.

It was fairly obvious at the start, but I was blinded by the cute little pomeranian haha. Pretty sure any chance at getting information out of this scammer is gone since I already sent her a nasty email lol :P The email address is probably deleted... if she was smart.

I am trying to attach a couple of the pictures she emailed to me (but I can't figure it out). Another red flag is that the pictures won't open up to be bigger lol. To think someone who was selling puppies for almost $300 would at least take a decent sized picture.
#36328 by Elidhuu Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:47 am
Also, I'm sorry about the confusion lol. I have a bad habit of skimming through text. I read 'Google' instead of 'Gmail' and didn't notice the change in website lol