Room for Rent and other rental scams
#291690 by Michelle Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:51 am
"Mark Landown" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

The 2 br plus den/ 2 bath condo from 8929 202 Street, Langley, BC is still available. As you saw in the pictures it is in excellent condition, very clean and well kept. What I can tell you about me is that I'm 42 years old, married with 2 children. I work as an engineer in the construction industry (Bouygues Construction an industrial group. They have a lot of projects all over the globe. They moved me to the United Kingdom construction department because they have a new project here. Since I need to stay here more than 5 years i decided to rent the place). I have never rented this apartment and I want to find a responsible tenant to take good care of it.
The apartment is fully furnished and it has all the appliances. Of course you can use everything from the apartment or if you want to use your furniture you can deposit mine in the storage unit ( located near the building). The rent is 950$/month and includes everything: heat, hydro, water, electricity, 2 parking spots underground, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer also included, cable and internet- full package paid for 1 year in advance. You have full access to all building amenities.
This apartment is a private property, paid in full and no mortgage on it. Schools and groceries near-by. You have everything you need nearby because it's one of the best city areas. Pets are allowed. You'll love it!!
I want to rent the place directly to someone without a real estate agency and we must find a good way to get things Done.

Best regards,
Mark Landown
[email protected]

Subject: Re: Nestled in Langley's desirable Walnut Grove
To: Michelle Banks

Hi again,

As I told you before we will use the TransUnion SmartMove Services to complete the Rental Agreement. They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the keys plus the official documents. With this procedure you will be able to view my apartment without any obligations to rent it. I will pay all the transaction costs. You don't need to open an account with TransUnion SmartMove Service because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction. This process will take maximum 2-3 days. To avoid any misunderstanding i will be gladly to explain you step by step how the viewing procedure works:
Here are the transaction steps:

1- YOU need to provide me your contact details: full name, mailing and your valid phone number.
2- I will go to the TransUnion SmartMove Service to start the transaction and I will give them the apartment keys and all the transaction documents.
3- The TransUnion SmartMove RealEstate Department checks the apartment documents. They will also confirm with the building management that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.
4- TransUnion SmartMove Service will send you the TRANSACTION DETAILS to inform you that they have the keys and the papers in their custody.
5- You need to send the amount of 1300$( for the 1st month rent from the rental contract and damage deposit) to the the TransUnion SmartMove payment representative given to you in the notification. The payment needs to be sent within 24 hours after you receive the transaction details or else they are charging with me an additional fee.
6- As soon as the payment is completed you need to send the confirmation to TransUnion SmartMove Service.
7- TransUnion SmartMove Service checks your payment and starts the shipping procedures using UPS or DHL Service.
8- You receive the package and you have 5 days (inspection time) to check the place.
9- If you decide to keep the apartment you just need to sign the lease agreement and TransUnion SmartMove will release the funds to me. If you don`t want to keep the apartment you will receive a full payment refund including any payment fee paid for it.
Please note that TransUnion SmartMove can NOT release the funds to me without your approval. You have a full payment control.

Please contact me if you have the funds available (1300$) and send me your complete details so we can move forward.
For any other questions you can call me any time at: +44 203 286 7660 (if you are calling from Canada or United States you need to dial 011-44-20 3286 7660) or you can simply email me and I will respond ASAP.
Hopefully everything is clear to you and for any other questions you can call me anytime or send me your number and I will call you.

Regards

Mark Landown
[email protected]

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement