Room for Rent and other rental scams
#291280 by Michelle Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:20 am
<[email protected]> wrote:
Good day Michelle

Thanks for your interest in my property; the home is still available and ready for move-in as soon as all necessary arrangements can be made. My name is Andrew Mendiratta. The home is located at 1509 Curtis St, Berkeley, CA 94702 with 2 beds 1 bath 1,000 sqft. This immaculate home is well located, it gives you the privacy you need and deserve. Beautiful floors throughout the home with carpet in the bedrooms. The kitchen comes adorned with adorable appliances and open ups to the living room and back door to the private back yard.
Recently (about 2 months ago) I just got transferred to another region. My company decided to open a sub-division in Canada and I was transferred there as chief operation manager to see and make sure things start up quite well. I guess the period for such stabilization might take 4-7 years as such I decided to sell the home at first, that was when I found an agent whom we both agreed on terms and conditions, this prompted the Realtor agent to place for sale sign on the property that was when my wife and well-wishers around started calling to advise me not to sell but rather rent it out so that it can be well catered and cared for before our return. This prompted why I had to request for my keys and document from the Realtor agent and they are with me presently.
I decided not to involve any agent in renting the home out as this will cost the occupant more money which I don't want as I want the occupant to understand the main aim why I am letting the home out and i feel he/she should get clue of the reason even with the amount I am willing to let it out.
NOTE: All I really want is to find someone who would rent and take care of my property while am away, and i feel there is no other way than to do it personally. That would make the landlord to tenant relation start on a good foot.
I want you to know that it was due to my transfer that made me and my family to leave the home. I want to give it out for rent and we are looking for a responsible, dedicated, committed and trustworthy person that can take very good care of the property as we are really not concerned with the money for the rent but we want it to be clean and immaculate at the time of our return.
Definitely, I would need your bio data which I guess is the only thing I can use to randomly access you. I would be needing information such as:

FULL NAME:
MARITAL STATUS:
HOME PHONE NUMBER:
MOBILE NUMBER:
CURRENT ADDRESS STATE, ZIP:
REASON FOR LEAVING/WANTING TO LEAVE:
YOUR PREVIOUS HOME OF RESIDENCE:
PREVIOUS RENT:
NUMBER OF PEOPLE THAT IS TO LEAVE IN THE HOME:
DO YOU HAVE A CAR? IF YES HOW MANY:
DO YOU HAVE A PET?
WHEN DO YOU PLAN MOVING INTO A NEW HOME?
EMAIL ADDRESS:
and concerning wanting to view the home, you could go there and take a look at the building surrounding and neighborhood but as for the inside, you won’t be able to view it as the keys for the home are here with me as at present. Please note you won’t be able to view the internal part of the home because the keys are here with me.... some interior pictures have been attached to this email.

Look forward to reading from you with all the requested information so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing receipts, drafting of lease document and majorly for reference purpose

Please note the security deposit is the same as the monthly rent and my property is move in ready Rent=$1000
You can call me anytime at: (+1(902) 702-2292)
MR. /MRS Andrew Mendiratta
Regards.
Thanks and God Bless You

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement