Information on romance scams and scammers.
#285182 by LBocko Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:37 am
My mother has recently become involved with a man named Chris Harvey who alleges to be a civil engineer and living in Lawrenceville, Georgia. Right now he says he is traveling in Dubai to secure building materials for a job in Virginia. She has not met him but they are exchanging "I love you" emails and he has told her that he will soon be coming to stay with her. So far he has asked her to send him an Iphone to Dubai and to put cash in the pocket of pants and send them along with tshirts to the same address in Dubai. She is in complete denial that this man is a scam or worse. Has anyone had anything like this happen?

Below is a cut and paste of an email he sent her:

My love how has your day been , i just want you to know that i have know life without you my babe . you complete my life and will forever be grateful to God for having you as my best friend . there is nothing i will do without you my love . babe like i was trying to tel you over the phone that you will need to get the total cash from your account them go buy a jeans trouser for men for me and also with few T-shirt so you can hide the money inside the jeans pocket put it in a box at home along side with the T-shirts and card you will get for me before taking it to the FedEx and send with same address you sent the phone to before babe . my size for the T-shirt is medium size and for the jeans trouser is size 36" . you will let me know when you get the jeans trouser and t-shirt for me . you can get any color you know it will be good for your man honey . Smile .

I love you so much honey and i can hardly wait to be home for you . let me know what you do not understand here so i can out you true over the phone babe .

Chris
Advertisement

#285183 by Bryon Williams Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:00 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

I am sorry to say your mother is in contact with a scammer..

You can provide more details such as the scammers email address, email headers, pictures.

Can you get your mother to believe you this is a scam?

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#285186 by LBocko Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:14 pm
I know it is a scam but she is in some crazy denial. His email address is [email protected]. I only was able to see a couple of the emails exchanged. His phone number is 404-424-4298. The address she is sending him stuff to is:

Chris Harvey
Al-Kuwait St, Al-Nuaimiya
Miriam Tower, Ajman
Dubai AE

I don't have a photo. He has sent her one that looks like a 69 year old man with gray hair.
#285190 by LBocko Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:37 pm
Do you know if there is a way to have that address checked out? I've been in touch with the police but I feel like they are going to spend too much time researching this.
#285194 by AlanJones Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm
LBocko wrote:His phone number is 404-424-4298.

Telephone number +14044244298 is a VoIP - YMax Communications.

There is no reason why someone actually living where they claim to be in the USA would need a VoIP phone number, They would have a landline or mobile. Only a scammer who is overseas has a need for such a number.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#285196 by HillBilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:30 pm
LBocko wrote:77
Do you know if there is a way to have that address checked out? I've been in touch with the police but I feel like they are going to spend too much time researching this.

It depends on which police department you have been in touch with. Your local PD? or a Dubai PD? Your local one really won't put much effort into it because it is out of their jurisdiction. The Dubai PD may or may not be corrupt, but also they may be interested in it.

Short of a private detective, (google or other of your favorite search engines) is your best bet for finding anything. There are no such results from the address you gave, and it seems highly unlikely that something with "tower" in the name does not have a unit # associated with it. My guess is that he or a friend of his is the doorman or in the mail room of this building. I have seen addresses that list only building names and street corners, so that much doesn't surprise me.

I found this about the tower, which does not match at all the other info you gave.
Mariam Tower
1/3, Al Waha Street
Nuaimeya 1, city Ajman
Mixed-use building, 21 floors
Seems to me that the addressing protocol of the UAE is very similar to the way Canadian addresses are done, not what you showed.
the map for the above address does not show that tower near either of the cross roads you listed, either.

the phone # you gave is nothing more than a Magic Jack device. its a modem you can plug into any computers USB port anywhere in the world and have your phone # with you.
(404) 424-4298
Owner's name hidden for privacy reasons

Owner is based in Atlanta, GA
VoIP - YMax Communications

Tell your mom to cease all contact with this scammer. She won't like it at all, and probably won't be convinced so do all the research yourself ( you are welcomed to completely plagiarize my methodology, just do it yourself so you can claim it as yours) , and show her how you arrived at your conclusions. Chances of her listening to you are better than anyone else, unfortunately.

#285212 by LBocko Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:51 pm
Thank you for the information. Right now she is mad at me and everyone else who are trying to tell her what's really going on. I think it will just have to play out unfortunately. I wish I could convince her.
#285214 by Bryon Williams Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:12 pm
My advice is to seek advice from a family attorney.

Some county Social Services has a dept for the elderly. Maybe you can look into this and see if someone would speak with her.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#285232 by LBocko Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:53 am
I'm angry with my mom for believing him and I could kill this evil scum with my bare hands! I've been a ball of nerves all week, :roll:
#285237 by Bryon Williams Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:38 am
Bryon Williams wrote:My advice is to seek advice from a family attorney.

Some county Social Services has a dept for the elderly. Maybe you can look into this and see if someone would speak with her.

Seek professional assistance.

I'm angry with my mom for believing him

Nothing will be accomplished by this. You need to be her friend son/daughter and help her out of this.

Keep in mind the scammer may have and/or is telling her that friends and family will try to break them up.

These scammers will work mind games on the victims. They will have the victim not to believe family members or friend.

Please seek the advice of a Family Attorney.

#285282 by LBocko Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:11 pm
What would an attorney accomplish? I'm a bit confused about this.
How can you track the location of an email address?
#285285 by Bryon Williams Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:08 pm
If your mother has assets, pension, SS you may want to look into protecting them.

We've seen plenty of cases where the elderly were drained dry by these scammers.

#285308 by coinpuppy Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:51 pm
<removed> Mike W
Also the letters he sends are copy/paste scripts
I am sure at east one will google up as being sent to other women

Removed (BW) has a full database of pictures and email and stuff

Your local police cant really do anything but warn your mom since this guy is not an never has been an american (look at the language used...thats typical west african grammar)

<Removed> AJ

This ruins lives
You need to try as hard as you can to stop this
#285376 by LBocko Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:26 am
According to my mom he is coming to see her this week. I seriously doubt this will happen. She has fallen hook, line and sinker. I'm keeping an eye on her bank account but don't know what else I can do.
Last edited by LBocko on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.