Room for Rent and other rental scams
#279607 by Michelle Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:48 am
Subject: RE: Studio flat

Thanks for the swift reply. I am willing to have you in my flat as long as you want after the viewing. It is unfortunate that my past experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat without any form of confirmation of their seriousness and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Ireland to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work.

Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who lives close by, also some do not meet up with the appointments.

Henceforth, my solicitor and i have decided to carry out a simple test on seriousness and financial ability to pay for the rent before coming for viewing. I am not asking you to pay before the viewing but at least, one month rent together with the security deposit of £500 which is refundable would be required from you to transfer to someone close to you through Western Union Money Transfer agent using your name as the Sender and your friend or family member's name as the Receiver in the UK premises.

Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will forward it to my solicitor to verify if it's truly genuine and available. Note that the transfer must be confirmed valid before the receiver pick up the money, after verification, i will ask you to inform the receiver to go and pick up the transfer and i will refund the transfer charges immediately after the viewing.

Kindly let me know if my explanation is well understood. Have a wonderful time.

Best Regards
Mr/Mrs Jessica
+447024079502

Subject: RE: Studio flat

Hello

Below is the account details for the transfer in progress. You're required to transfer 1 month rent and security deposit which the total amount is 1000GBP. Once you've completed the transfer get back to me with the scan copy of the transfer receipt immediately which I will forward to my lawyer to enable him proceed with the confirmation of your financial ability proof. If possible the money could be done tonight via Internet transfer.

ACCOUNT DETAILS:

Sort code:207931
Acc number:83474127
Account name: Miss Michelle Vincent
Acc type:Baclays basic current acc
Address:678 above bar,southampton so14. 7DZ
Iban:GB86 BARC 20793183474127
Swift:BARC GB22

Waiting for your quick response.

Regards

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement