Room for Rent and other rental scams
#235646 by Michelle Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:22 pm
Date: Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 7:08 AM
Subject: RE: 1 Bedroom Apartment for rent
To: Michelle Banks

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in our apartment, Our home is in perfect condition and ready for occupancy.
You might be surprised at the fact that i am renting my apartment out at a low price but i want you to know that i am not interested in the financial aspect, I and my family are in search for an occupant who knows what it means to own a home and who would take proper care of our apartment like it belongs to him/her.
I know you might be weary to deal with someone who is overseas but I want you to know that Myself and my family and other Native Americans have been missionaries with Global Ministries for a long time now. We served as missionaries in major parts of the world, we now serve as United Methodist missionaries serving on humanitarian assistance and we arrive West Africa Two weeks Ago in supporting long term needs for clean water in Kenya, Sudan, Mali, Liberia, Burkina Faso, Gambia, Benin,Republic, Nigeria and Ethiopia - providing the everyday needs of more than 389,500 people. Also committed to mitigating the impact of HIV/AIDS, which kills more than 6,000 Africans every day, we are supporting community garden programs for AIDS sufferers and their families and also advising person regards the prevention of EBOLA . So my family and I have decided that we would be moving to our other home when we get back to New York.
I want you to know that you can stay in the apartment as long as you would like to stay as we are not planning on moving back into the apartment. But we would be checking up on you once in a while to ensure that the apartment is well taken cared of, if we come to a conclusion regarding renting our apartment to you, we would also arrange on how to get the Keys and House Documents to you so you can view the apartment before you sign any Document or Lease Agreement.

Apartment Address: 446 W 26th St New York, NY 10001

It's indeed a lovely and comfortable home and available to move in as soon as possible, I thank you for considering my home.
Fees:

Per Month: $900 (Including Utilities)
Security / Deposit: $500. (Is Refundable)
1 bedroom
1 Baths
# Air Conditioning

APARTMENT FEATURES:
Spacious 1 bedroom apartment
- Flooded with natural light
- Hardwood floors
- Kitchen with new appliances
- Heat and Hot water
- Steps to shopping, restaurants and much more and a private packing space
On Premise Dry Cleaning and Laundry Services Internet Access and Cable TV Ready High Speed Internet Access.

Please fill the details below so we can discuss and proceed with the Lease process.
FIRST NAME:_________
MIDDLE NAME:_________________
LAST NAME:__________________
PRESENT ADDRESS:____
SEX:________________
PROFESSION:________________
MARITAL STATUS____________
TIME ON YOUR JOB:______
PHONE NUMBERS
(CELL)PHONE_____
(WORK)PHONE____
(HOME)PHONE_____
KIDS___ (YES/NO), HOW MANY_____
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING?_______
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?________
DO YOU AGREE TO PAY FOR THE DEPOSIT?________
HOW SOON CAN YOU HAVE THE DEPOSIT PAYMENT SENT TO ME:___
HOW SOON DO YOU WANT TO RECEIVE THE KEYS AND DOCUMENTS OF THE HOUSE:______________
IF YOU HAVE A PET?_____-
DO YOU SMOKE?______________
DO YOU DRINK?_________
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHTS____

I would like you to know that you are free to contact me at any time. After I receive these details, I would get back to you soonest after discussing with my wife and then let you know my terms.

Pets are allowed

I hope to hear from you soonest.

Call me now for more details.

God Bless you as you call.
Rev Johnny Galecki & Mrs. Adela Johnny
Phone Number: +234-704-622-2827 call or 202-888-3772 SMS Text

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement