Learn about us and introduce yourself
#197346 by Goodprey Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:10 am
Hello all, I am very glad there are sites like you, thank you. I am French but unfortunately France do not seem to really take into account this scammers problem yet. And also I must say that I am more interested in english spoken people to date so it makes a good prey of me. BUT I NEVER EVER paid anything, I love my money too much :wink: , still I've been hurt like many of you. So if I can help warning, since there's not much we can do as long as Nigeria's govt. don't take measures about it, it is stil better than nothing. So lately I have subscribed on OKCupid because I did not read bad things about it. I got in touch with someone called Imintersted14 whose profile says he is in London, but after contact (name Lucas Hedges) guess where he works? In Nigeria. That one is not in construction but army reserved and working for US army, tracking terrorists... Would you say it if it was true, huh? He gave me 2 phones numbers, one american and one Nigerian. He said he can only get calls but not calling from the american one given by the army. Wow, so the US gives phones to UK "contractors"... anyway I called this US number and got no answer. He said this phone was not with him but I coud call the nigerian one, which I replied no way, I can only call US numbers for free. Since then he sends less emails... But I can see he is ALWAYS on line on OKC. I also did not find anything on internet, no facebook account with this name - but of an actor with same name - strange for someone who says he has friends. I knew this NIgerian stuff but still wanted to try and believe it. So I finally made a seach with the pictures. He seems to have been known last year as a scammer name Shean Micheal (like this). I have warned OKC that he might be a scammer and don't intend to reply more emails from "him", without telling him why of course. Those scammer always suprised me, they are very smart on what they say. What he says on his profile ios like :
I am an honest and sincere person and I don't like or tolerate lies and mind games. I am passionate, romantic, understanding, patient, open-minded, mature with good common sense.. I am very family oriented. to spend my free time with my family, friends, going out to dining, go to movies, take a walk at the beach or a park, dancing (every now and then)...Anything you do can be fun, when you're with the right company...I would describe my personality as outgoing,,I like my easy going nature and sense of humor. You have to learn to see the lighter side of life.. I love to laugh . I have wonderful friends that I relish spending time with..'My friends would describe me as loyal, funny and easy to be around. Non-judgmental.. Best thing my parents taught me was to love God and the family, to be honest and never to judge someone, to be kind to others, accept people for who they are, and to live, love and laugh a lot.. I love music, can't live without it (country, pop ,ballad, soft rock, latin , e t c). and enjoy concerts.. .I enjoy read a good book ..Life is too short .."You Only Live Once, So You Better Live Life To The Fullest And Dance Like No One Is Watching"...
And what I Ilke the most is about the "the first things people usually notive about me" part : "my blue eyes", I bet ! One more clue : he said he had been on this site 2 days ago. Okay, this is not always a good evidence, but for sure a scammer can't be on a dating site for weeks, I guess. Be careful !
Advertisement

#197360 by Dotti Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:30 am
As far as being on the site for weeks go, while it is something scammers often do, it isn't solid evidence of scam. It could just be someone who doesn't log off properly. I have a few dating site profiles that I use to research scammers for scamwarners, and I just leave my computer logged in, sometimes not shutting it down for several days, because it makes more scammers find the profile. It doesn't mean I'm there--it just means my computer is logged in.

With that said, though, I took a look at the profile and the photos, and that is definitely an African scammer.
You can see another profile here with the same text, only the age is 42 instead of 40. Photos of the same man have been used in dozens of profiles using different names and claims.

There are literally thousands of profiles created by African scammers pretending to be American soldiers, and the scammers have found the fake soldier approach to be very successful.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#197393 by Goodprey Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:49 pm
Thank you very much for this fast feedback Dotti, I must say I am very proud of myself to have found this one after less than one week ! I have sent a message to OKC to say this profile is probably a fake, not sure they will do something. Anyway "he" mus have guessed something though, coz I dont get any email any more, even if I did not tell anything about my doubt. They are so clever...
#198429 by Goodprey Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:21 pm
I have informed OKCupid that the profile Iminterested14 - giving the email address of "Lucas Hedges" on yahoo, is a fake and is used by an African scammer, they did not nothing and the profile is still active - and used. What can I do if OKCupid does nothing?
#198444 by HillBilly Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:57 pm
Goodprey wrote: What can I do if OKCupid does nothing?

Stay away from him and post facts about the scam / fraud on every anti-scam site you can find. Warning others is the best thing you can do.

There are those that would argue that once spotted, you never try to have a known scammer's account removed anyhow. If that account is terminated, they simply change their name / email address / story and look for more victims. If they are known scammers, it is easier to find them with internet search engines, at least.

#198447 by Goodprey Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:16 pm
Okay, tanks for the advice, as far as I am concerned I never contacted him anymore, but still I wonder.. how come his IP address gives London, UK, and not NIgeria, when he said himself he was deployed in Negeria?
#198465 by HillBilly Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:49 pm
more than likely he was using a cell phone that uses a UK central office. Its not uncommon for African based cell companies to use Central offices in the UK.

It is also possible he was using a proxy server, or a virtual private network (VPN)

use http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup to see if you can find details proving either theory.

If you draw a blank after that, post the complete headers here ( removing your personal info first) and we can look at them and tell you more about them.

#200505 by AlanJones Wed May 07, 2014 2:38 pm
I would recommend that you stop communicating with him as he has your personal details. What you are doing is scambaiting and I would recommend you visit our sister site 419eater.com to learn how to do it safely and effectively.

Also, you appear to be educating him on all his mistakes - this will help him improve his scam and be more convincing to future victims.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.