Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#4906 by Ralph Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:47 am
This email came to me in one of my catcher accounts (email address used for attracting scammers) and is a scam, exactly how it works I cant say for sure but a guess without looking into it would be that you will need to pay money in order to be accepted for the position.

The other danger in replying to such an email is the amount of information you are asked to provide, this information may be used at a later date to try to scam you using a different modality, knowing your details will allow them to ring you or send you emails in the post regarding your non existent inheritance or lottery win, the other danger is that your details could be used to scam another person, this is particularly true if you send a photo ID, we often see these used in scams to steal money from others

I will do some further research on this but rest assured, it is a scam

Technip Offshore Nigeria Ltd.
International subsidiary
4th Fl. IMB Plz, 1 Akin Adesola Str.,
Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.

INTRODUCTION:

Ref: TR/EMP/EXP/VOL.IV/07
We are Legal Labor Consultant/Recruiters to Technip
Group, a foremost Oil and Gas Company.
In pursuant to the service contract with our client
(Technip Group) wish to invite experienced, skilled
And qualified expatriates/persons for the Ogba Phase
Two Project Development going on in the Federal
Republic Of Nigeria, project schedule to commence
Work in October 20th, 2008.The programmed is the Development of Ogba Phase two Projects; the project involves the construction of
Four platforms and a Gas Export Pipeline that will aid
Optimum exploitation of the crude oil potential of the Ogba Field,
As well as that of Natural Gas that is currently being flared.
TECHNIP GROUP with respect to the said project
Requires expatriates whose services will include the project
Management, engineering, procurement, construction,
Transportation and installation, safety, hook up and
Commissioning of the production platform and
Pipelining.
SCOPE OF THE PROJECT: the developments of the Ogba
Phase two projects.
SALARY: $10,000- $30,000.00, Monthly, can be
Transferred to any Bank or Country of your choice
And all transfers must be made in conformity with
The existing tax situation in Nigeria.
CONTRACT DURATION: 48 months (Liable for upward
Review depending on your commitment and expertise)
DURATION OF WORK PERIODS: Three months work, one
Month pay leave you will be entitle to Three (3) months upfront
Salaries and relocation expenses on confirmation of
Your relevant documentation for commencement of
Work. We would like to have your detailed resume, if this
Offer is acceptable to you together with an
Application via email attachment and you are to forward it to
The below Email address. We await your response in this regard.

YOU'RE SINCERELY,

ENGR. KOFFI IDOWU
EXPATRIATE HUMAN RESOURCES ASST. MANAGER
Technip Offshore Nigeria Ltd.
International Subsidiary
4th Fl. IMB Plz, 1 Akin Akin Adesola Str.,
Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.
Phone: +234-8030879056
Office: +234-84774715
E-Mail: [email protected]

Here we go, some evidence of a scam didn't take long
I first tried searching on the phone numbers but came up with nothing, this only means the numbers are fairly new, now that they are listed here they will come up in a few days time :wink:

I then did a search on the address "4th Fl. IMB Plz, 1 Akin Akin Adesola Str" and found something a little more interesting Click Here lots of scam related hits, you could read through those to get more information on how the scam works, I will leave those interested to do that and instead focus on other ways to find details of the scam

The next search I have done is on the email address, no responses for the whole address so i then seached on "offshoretechnip" and found These results Again, I haven't looked through those but I am sure closer inspection would show some results

A favourite of mine is to search on the opening line of scam emails, in this case I searched on the reference number "Ref: TR/EMP/EXP/VOL.IV/07" and found This result which clearly shows it as a scam

The next search is on the second line of the email, this time with an exact search on "We are Legal Labor Consultant/Recruiters to Technip" the result can be seen by Clicking Here

As you can see, there are a range of ways you can find details about scams and these simple searches should be done before sending any of your personal deatails to anybody who has contacted you on the internet.

I will also point out that scammers will often advertise these positions on job sites, so carefull consideration and a few searches is always a good idea.

If in doubt, just ask, we are happy to do some research for you if needed but we do prefer to see you trying some of these searches for yourself as education and practice are the keys to internet safety
Advertisement

#4907 by Charles Fox Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:00 pm
From the next letter in the sequence:

Upon your acceptance of this offer, the following below must be provided for further proceedings. You are expected to provide us with your international passport and Department Of Petroleum Resources Certificate (D P R).

Of Course, i haven't got a DPR Certificate. But I bet I know someone who can sell me one, for a large amount of money, via Western Union, of course.

Wow! I need you and thank you for the information.

I am SO GLAD YOU BURST MY BUBBLE

So I can close this chapter with no more fretting, right? Thanks so much for your help.