Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#163303 by mrmike59 Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:03 pm
Apparently this scammer has moved on to other craiglist items. I was selling a fireplace on Craigslist when I was contacted by the person using the name Devin Hockensmith and the email address [email protected]. They offered to buy my item sight unseen and wanted to send me a certified check for more than I was asking. They weren't going to come and check out the item but rather arrange for a later pick up. I didn't give them an personal info I just asked for their cell phone number to discuss the sale and never heard from them again. I thought it was a scam and start checking out the email address and it lead me to here.
Advertisement

#163304 by Bryon Williams Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:39 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners mrmike59,

In this scam the scammer is NOT interested in your fireplace. He wants to steal your money.

The scammer will ask the Seller to cash a fake Cashiers Check / Money Order / Certified Check that is for more than the price of the 'item'. He will then ask the Seller to send the over payment to his Fake Shipper / Agent by Western Union or Moneygram to pay for the pickup and shipping.

The check / Money Order will be fake it will look real. Do not deposit or cash it.
Even if your bank tells you that the check/Money Order has cleared, it does not mean they will take responsibility for it when it is returned. They are required by law to give you access to money within a few days.

But later, when the check/Money Order goes to a clearance house or the original bank, the check/Money Order will be returned and you will be held responsible.

It can take days, weeks, or even months for the fraud to be discovered and you will be required to pay all of the money back, regardless of who sent the check/Money Order to you. The bank also may have you charged with 'Financial Fraud'.

This same scam can be done with Fake Paypal Payments. The scammer will send you an email pretending to be from PayPal with Payment Made. He will then tell you to pay the mover / shipper / agent via Western Union or Money Gram. If you send money by this method. You will never see it again.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#174088 by Serraangel Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:54 pm
I just got a response to a Craigslist ad from [email protected]

Also looking for an immediate sale of a piece of furniture with payment via a cashiers' check and with pick up via an agent. They wanted my address and cell phone.

They are still at it!