Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#83627 by tk1622 Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:56 pm
Here is the newest scam I received-
"hello,and how are you today.i just saw your item that you about to
sell on craigslist now and decided to ask if it is still available for
sale Thank you.
TIM.
"
I replied yes, and here is his next response:
"I really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider
it sold, Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid
disturbance,anyway I don't have time to come over to take a look
because of my Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the
shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a
shipper, hence I'll be sending a Certified check and it will be
delivered to you via United Parcel Service (UPS), so I'll need you to
provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of
the check.
Full name on the check.
Full Physical address to post the check
City, State and Zip Code
Home & Cell Phone to contact you.
Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my shipper to come over as soon
as you have cashed the check*
N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box addresses.Thanks"

These stories are getting old, looks like some scammers don't want to be creative anymore : / Better for us I guess.
Advertisement

#83659 by Bubbles Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:09 am
You are correct tk1622, the more they use the same script the easier it is for people searching to see if they are dealing with a scammer to find out they are.

Thank you for posting this information.

Moved to Online selling.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#84097 by TheMightyBigE Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:22 pm
I must say, I am a little ashamed of myself for getting into it as long as I did but I gave "Ahmed" the benefit of the doubt, until I did some research. For those who are interested, I did receive a "check" in my name in the amount of $1,950.00, which as Ahmed will likely tell you is a result of the shipping funds being mistakenly added to the check and he will ask for your trust and honesty with the extra payment. Now, while mistake do happen and international shipping of extremely large items is quite high, the following alerted me to the scam. The "payment" arrived as promised in a non-signature FedEx envelope, the envelope originated in Columbus, OH. Upon further examination, the check was from an entirely different company based in PA, and was supposedly from Wachovia Bank, who knew they used P.O. boxes, pffft. After waiting for what was a long amount of time at best, I received another email informing me of the shippers information, the address given was a street address in St. Louis, MO right outside of St. Louis University. Strange? I thought so. Finally, the shipper was supposedly 'OmegaShippingCompany" who are based in NJ and have no other facility outside of NJ. If it is so desired, I can post transcripts of his email messages and a scan of the fake check and FedEx envelope for future reference.

Best Regards,
EC
#84101 by Bubbles Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:18 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners EC, it is fantastic you read the signs of the scam. The check is a forgery. It was printed by a person who thinks they are processing payments, but they are a "mule". Often totally unwittingly, though some times they know what they are doing.

If you have all of that information the police might be interested in it to shut down the operation. In my opinion, it is important not to be in possesion of a forged banking document. Turn it in to the police, deface or destroy it. I wouldn't hold on to it as it is.

Anything you post up here needs to be defaced too so scammers cannot pick it up and use it.

Transcripts can be helpful, especially of the first couple of emails.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#86000 by Cowgirl613 Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:40 pm
I have just recently been talked to by Ahmed Adeboye. I was selling a saddle on craigslist and the first email was ([email protected]) . He asked if I had the "item" and if so he would like to buy it. Which to me, I didn't like the sound of item because most horse buyers ask about the saddle and would actually ask if I have this saddle sold. Not item. And replying to the email - it said I replied back to [email protected], and he would not give me a name or a phone number. Then it started replying to someone named Ahmed Adeboye. I always replied to him saying if this is a scam please do not proceed and to give me a name and phone I can contact, never answered me with any of my questions, just answered me with tracking number, that a shipper from (omegashippingcompany) will be shipping it out. I just hate that I was brought into this for a long time, but I like that I get to give more information out about this guy. I'm supposed to get that check today and now I know not to do anything with it. Thank you scam warners for having this on here!

God Bless,
LW
#98348 by kodylkrisbro Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:54 am
He is still at this and using different email addresses:

[email protected]

I have a piece of art work worth 2k and been trying to sell this on craigslist. Here is what the person states, which is soooo weak and you can see right through these guys.

I really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider
it sold, Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid
disturbance,anyway I don't have time to come over to take a look
because of my Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the
shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a
shipper, hence I'll be sending a Certified check and it will be
delivered to you via United Parcel Service (UPS), so I'll need you to
provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of
the check.

Full name on the check.
Full Physical address to post the check
City, State and Zip Code
Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my shipper to come over as soon
as you have cashed the check*

N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box addresses.Thanks

My response was:

Yes, I have a few people willing to buy through paypal, but it can go to the highest bidder, paypal or cash only. The highest is $650 right now, if you are interested, let me know.

he replied in this different email:

[email protected] ? via craigslist.org

STILL AVAILABLE.

TIM BISHOP.

he now wants to send a certified bank draft from Bank of america. Then I decided to google his email and found this site. I will not do business on craigslist except locally and with cash only. I am not going to respond to this person.
#175680 by caveman47993 Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:51 am
Same thing here but different email address! Just happened today: Someone emailed me about an item I had on Craigslist and that he was sending a payment check via USPS but had "accidentally overpaid me and I am supposed to send back the overpayment to Jason Simmons, 427 W. Trade St. Charlotte, NC...which is supposedly someone from Omega Shipping. I was supposedly getting an extra $100 for my "running around". The fake email address is [email protected]...everything else is exactly the same MO as the other posts. The Tope Adelaja person uses obviously incorrect slang and odd phrases relating to being a Christian and hopes he can "TRUST ME"!! What a lowlife! If u see anything like this, please report it here!