Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#10190 by dnclymer21 Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:36 pm
I'm trying to sell an engagement ring on craigslist and every response that I have received has seemed "too good to be true" One offered more than I was asking plus shipping, or the e-mail seemed like it was from someone that english is a second language (small issues like forgetting "a" or "the" or using will not would) are these all scams? How do I know when i actually get someone that is legit? I do have one lady that offered less than i was asking which seems the most legit so far!
Advertisement

#10192 by Underwater Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:54 pm
Hi, and welcome to Scamwarners!

I feel your pain. It would be great if we didn't have to worry about all these scammers, and could just do our business in peace. But they are out there, and they will jump on every opportunity to steal from you.

The BEST, and really the ONLY, way to ensure you don't get ripped off on Craigslist is to follow the advice that they put on their site:

1. Deal ONLY with local people that you can meet in person.
2. Deal ONLY in cash. Never accept payment by any other means. Fake checks (cashiers, money orders) and fake PayPal payments are very common.
3. NEVER wire funds via WU or Moneygram. Anyone asking you to do so is a scammer.
4. NEVER ship anything anywhere. If they can't come pick it up, and pay cash, then don't sell to them.

Follow those rules and you will never get scammed.

I know it's tempting to try to sell outside of your geographic region, but it's just too risky. Craigslist is designed to facilitate local people selling to each other, not long-distance sales involving risky means of payments.

By the way, great job in recognizing the scams. You hit on many of the hallmarks of West African scammers (where so many of them come from). Especially using the word "will" instead of "would" - that's pretty much a sure sign it's a West African scammer.

Best of luck in your selling!