If you have received a warning from someone claiming to be a ScamWarner and want to check if it is genuine, please ask here.
#3740 by Johann Meister Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:54 am
Yesterday was the first time a vic replied in obvious disbelief. Since he brings all the "reasons" other warned people may bring or have in mind when they receive a warning out off the blue, I´d like to post it here, anonymized, as an example on how to possibly respond to it.
Dear sir,

I don't know who you are, but your english does not sound genuine. I can see you sent me this email on sunday at 1.26 in the morning: congratulations your company should be proud of such an excellent worker !!

Thank you for your warning, but I think I can take care of myself without a second mother.

In addition, an international group (of angels) with many informants who risk their lives to prevent internet frauds is supposed to have an email address like [email protected] or .org or .gov

Are you sure you're not a friend of the guy who sent me that purchase proposal full of obvious bullshit ?

I'm waiting for that cheque (NOT check !!) 'cause I want to hang it on a wall.

Dear Friend,

WARNING: You are being scammed

By the way, we are not friends.

Well it shows he was aware from the beginning, so actually there is nothing to complain from my POV (other than the fact he obviously uses his real life details).
However, I was not necessarily satisfied with being seen as a possible recovery scammer ("friend of the guy who sent me..."), nor with being thought of "not genuine" nor with indirectly being tagged as useless, with heavy irony full of disbelief. I would have replied him anyway, challenged this way though I modified the usual arguments ("my warning was genuine because...") and insisted just a little bit more than usual :
Dear Signore V,

Your reaction was inappropriate since this WAS a genuine warning to you but I understand it somehow. At any rate, you are aware of the fraud attempt, since you do not cash the checks (this word is American English).

Many people are not aware of it the way you are and would have fallen for that scam. Therefore I would rather act as second mother to them rather than have had one victim who cashed it because he or she was NOT aware. I hope you can understand this.

Neither do I expect a thank you from you nor would I ever ask you for money. If I was a scammer, would I have said this? Therefore, I am not a part of the scammer´s gang.

Since you do not need any further advice, you won´t be interested in verifying my background by visiting www.scamwarners.com.

No need to reply to this email. I have fulfilled my purpose, knowing you are aware of the check fraud attempt.

Last, it might NOT be the best idea to give them your real life address because they are criminals. But that is up to you.

I wish you all the very best, Sir!

Respectfully yours,
J.M.

Yes, there are "recovery scams" out there. Yes, it was late at night when I sent it off (it was in fact rather Sunday morning and about 3:30 AM). I just think this could not be left ignored and in spite of what he said ("I can take care of myself"), I believed a more personalized reply containing one or two tipps would be appropriate.
Maybe you fellow warners have had a lot of disbelievers and suspicious warnees (most likely, you have), this one was my personal first, however, it´s not that pleasant an experience
Advertisement

#3741 by ChrisSmith Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:59 am
If he's safe, move on.
No need to justify yourself or ourselves.

#3742 by Ralph Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:15 am
As Chris said, move on, he seems safe from being a scam victim, perhaps not as safe from being a victim of some kind of violence when the scammers catch up with him.

For the usual victims who have given personnal details to a scammer, there is not too much to worry about, scammers lose victims all the time, just another part of their job, but for anybody "joking" with them, they may well be tempted to get some retribution.

In this case, I doubt anything you say will keep him from thinking you are another scammer, there are many people who are more deserving of our help than this apparently arrogant no it all.

I guess it is hard for some people to believe that we do what we do, unpaid, at our own expense and in our own time, but at least he is cautious and not about to become another scam victim :wink:

#3770 by ColinWarrins Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:16 pm
I don't have a problem with responding to a dis-believing warnee, but yes, you wouldn't want to waste hours on the guy. The fact that he's suspicious is a good thing overall.

Email: Colin.Warrins at Scamwarners dot com

#3803 by Johann Meister Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:37 pm
Thanks for your points of view. I replied but he never got back so I just consider him safe - and frowning... no harm done then. On to the next.