If you have received a warning from someone claiming to be a ScamWarner and want to check if it is genuine, please ask here.
#11076 by Puppy Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:52 am
Hi
Great site, I had been emailing a person regarding helping him retrieve some funds.
The last email I sent him I got an automated holiday response that said,

``WARNING: This Guy is a MUGU 419 Advanced Fee Fraudster From Nigerian, real name is tony.
Next week he might be a barrister, or a shipping agent?

Love. Udo Watt your national scambaiter.
-------------Udo Woz Here------------------
---------SCAM SHUTDOWN-------------------

Im thinking Imay have been a victim of a scam of some sort but just need to check before I send him more stuff.

What do you think? The guy I am contacting is called Harold Martin , not Tony.
Advertisement

#11077 by AlanJones Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:55 am
Puppy wrote:I had been emailing a person regarding helping him retrieve some funds.

This is enought for me to be able to tell you that it is a scam.

Legitimate individuals do not email random people to ask for help retrieving funds.

Harold Martin will be the name that the scammer is using to scam you. It sounds like someone has gained access to his email account and added the warning. They also appear to know what his real name is.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#11080 by Arnold Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:47 am
Welcome to Scamwarners.
I found http://www.udo-watt.com, a scambaiting site, so I've no doubt the warning is genuine. He's not associated with us, and we don't condone his methods.
If you can quote his first email, including headers, we can research it.

#11081 by Ralph Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:02 am
Hi Puppy

Welcome to Scamwarners

The others are spot on with their answers, it is unlikely you will hear from that scammer from the same email address although he will most likely continue trying to scam you with a brand new email address that will not be listed on an antiscam site.

I guess it is a good thing they were able to get a warning to you, but the method used is not a practice we do here.

All the same, the warning is genuine, the man you are dealing with is a scammer
#11082 by Puppy Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 am
Hello and thank you all so much. I have realised after reading this that I have been scammed. Im sorry I just deleted the emails , harold martins email addy was [email protected] thats all i have left in my contacts.

Im glad you warned me , thank you i need to move on now.
#11084 by Ralph Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:12 am
Puppy, if you have lost money I am very sorry for that
but please be aware of recovery scams, we have a section on that kind of scam here as well.

Scammers will always see a previous victim as a more likely prospect and they are likely to target you again

Please never believe a person who says they can finalise the transaction or get you money back, these people will invariably be scammers

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask