If you have received a warning from someone claiming to be a ScamWarner and want to check if it is genuine, please ask here.
#75732 by PrinceVageta Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:00 pm
is this email for real? and if so how did they get my email? :?:

I am a member of a group that investigates internet fraud, and I am writing to warn you that you have been contacted by a Paypal Scammer.

We have information from the scammer's community that a known scam artist, in LAGOS NIGERIA has targeted you for theft of your merchandise and money.

The scammer will want to purchase an ‘item’ you have for sale on Craigslist, Ebay or another online site and may offer you more than your asking price to have you remove your advertisement quickly.

He will ask you to receive payment via his 'verified' PAYPAL or BANK payment and ship the 'item' to a relative for him.

The scammer has an elaborate set of FAKE Screen Shots of very official looking Paypal Emails verifying payment received. These emails are NOT from Paypal. They are from the scammer.

In this scam Paypal has not received any money to be paid to you and you will lose your merchandise if you ship.

Paypal does not hold your money until a tracking number is sent. When the buyer pays it will immediately show in your Paypal account.

Do not send any merchandise without payment verification personally by you.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SHIPPED THE MERCHANDISE CALL THE SHIPPER AND HAVE IT STOPPED UNTIL PAYMENT IS VERIFIED.

If you have sent merchandise you may be sent more mails asking you to send PAYMENT PROCESSING Fee’s to get your money. Please do not, it is just another way to scam you out of more money.

Below are links to a description of this type of scam.

http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15077

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3567

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1937

I would ask you to please do the following:

1. Please Do not forward this letter to the scammer, nor inform him in any way that you have been warned. This would inhibit our efforts to stop these scammers and warn others.

2. DO NOT send him any merchandise, because you will never be paid for it.

3. DO NOT attempt to confront, abuse, or harass this scammer, as he may already have your personal information.

4. Please send me an e-mail letting me know that you have received this mail and have stopped communicating with this scammer.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

Ryan Hains

--
http://www.scamwarners.com
Advertisement

#75733 by AlanJones Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:06 pm
Hi PrinceVageta,

Yes the email that you have received is real. Ryan's profile can be seen here memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6025.

I don't know where he got his information in your case.

Are you selling an item online? If so has someone shown an interest in your item and offered you more than the listing price. If so log into the real PayPal site and see if you have actually received the money - if you haven't then don't send the item.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#75819 by PrinceVageta Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:45 am
I do not have a paypal account and yes I am offering things for sale on craigslist. I also have a resume posted but I don't give personal information besides my work history not even my name.

I have seen a lot of scams since I have first posted my resume. Such as printing checks and mailing them or cashing a check and sending most of it somewhere else or how about the fact that I won millions in a lottery I never entered. I even get duplicate inquiry's with the exact same question spelling and punctuation but from different emails. being desperate for wok I answered a few times but quickly realized it was a scam. at one point I started to ask them for their personal information like they did to me. Then suddenly they stopped emailing me. I now know that posting online comes with it's risk's. I am very cautious and skeptical about all replies to all of my posts. Currently I am googling their email address and researching their so called company's. Sometimes they use reputable company names and websites to back up their stories. After contacting some of these companies and being told that they dont know who I am talking about I learned that nothing is what it seems. If you could somehow contact Ryan Hains and have him explain to me how and why he is warning me I would appreciate it.
#75821 by David Jansen Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:11 am
Welcome here PrinceVageta.

You can ask him these questions yourself by replieing to his warning email, and he will be happy to answer your questions, and explain more about this type of scam.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#75854 by Ryan Hains Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:27 am
Hello PrinceVageta, welcome to Scamwarners

Thank you for inquiring about about my warning to you. I have answered your questions in email.

I can see from your posts that you are well aware of internet scams, but when I know someone has been contacted by these scammers I warn them because I don't know if they will or will not become a victim.