#66799 by Jillian Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:42 pm
This type of scam targets computer techs. In this scam the scammer will insist on using his own supposed "shipper", who is actually the scammer playing another role. He'll want you to forward the money to the "shipper" for him, including it as an overage in his payment to you. Whatever method of payment the scammer uses will be fraudulent. Beware!
There is information on our forum about check scams, including "overpayment" scams, here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3237

#########################################################
Hello,

Thanks for getting back, I have 5 pentium IV HP laptops and here are
the following things that needs to be done on each of them.

1 Format Hard Drive
2 Install Win Xp with Service Pack 2
3 Microsoft Office Package
4 AVG Virus Software (Free Lifetime Updates)
5 Adobe Acrobat
6 Laptop Cleaning of the keyboard, screen and other case.
7 Diagnostics of the entire system after to check hard, cdrom, floppy, etc.

Get back to me with your total cost for the services of the 5 units. I
await your urgent response.

Best regards.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
Advertisement

#68162 by HullComputers Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:38 am
I've just registered on this site to say thanks for this information.
I run a small business that is only been trading 6 months, and this morning I received an enquiry via an IT Directory I have registered with.
The guy (Mr Still Waters - WTF?) asked if I could repair up to 10 laptops, being eager to take on such a juicy contract I replied yes and asked for further information. The email back I received was almost word for word, the same as the one you have posted!
Something didn't sit right about him stating he would be paying by certified check, so I gogled "laptop repair scam" and came across this page, I'm glad I did.
Being ripped off in such a manner could have sent the business into the red and possibly been the end of the business!

I have used my website and Facebook feed to promote this site and help others too.
Thank you

Lee Newis
http://www.hullcomputers.com
#68183 by Jillian Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:30 pm
Welcome! :D I'm so glad our information was helpful to you. Thanks for taking the time to post and for recommending us to others.
Please do post the email address and name the scammer was using (along with the context of the scam mail) so that the information will show up in searches for others.
Additionally, we don't recommend using usernames that connect to your real life identity for posting here on ScamWarners since scammers do read this site. I suggest removing the your name and the link to your website from your post and letting me know through private message what you would like for a username - I'll change it for you.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

#69428 by Patrickjett Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Hello Computer Technician,
Kelly George <[email protected]>

I am in need of a good technician who can handle and help with the problems am having with my Laptops.I have so many Laptops that I receive from companies to get them repaired or formatted, but i need a deligent and very honest Technician who will repair the Laptops.Currently :

I have 7 Pentium IV Dell laptops, Below is a
list of work needed to be done on each Pc.
1 Format Hard Drive
3 Install Microsoft Office Package
4 AVG Virus Software
5 Adobe Acrobat Reader
6 diagnose Hardware. Hard drive, video card, processor and what not.
Get back to me with your total cost for the service

Thank You.
I await your urgent response.
Best regards

It was already flagged by Career Builder as a scam:

Hello,

CareerBuilder is committed to providing our users with the best possible job search experience and regularly reviews postings on our web site for quality assurance. During a recent review, we identified a listing that was not actually posted by the client company with whom we contract. Therefore, we are reaching out to job seekers who applied to the position titled [PC Technician]in[US]on[30 Sep 2011]in order to advise them that the job and any related communications may be misleading. All further contact with individuals associated to the position should be ceased.

For more information about Online Fraud, we do offer a Fraud Page for Jobseekers:
[ http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Info/Fraud.aspx.]

Suspected fraudulent scam email messages can be forwarded to the FTC at [email protected]. Internet Crime Complaints can be filed at [ http://www.ic3.gov.]

We also recommend that users visit[http://www.OnGuardOnline.gov], which provides practical tips from the federal government and the technology industry to help you be on guard, secure your computer, and protect your personal information.

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,

Trust and Site Security Team
:laugh-s: :laugh-s: :beer: :oh-joy:

Quotes added for clarity - CW
Last edited by Michelle on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Quotes added.
#69715 by Jillian Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:34 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners and thanks for posting this info. Good for Career Builder for warning about the scam!

#71305 by dtsys Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:28 pm
Found this ad on Craigslist, it smelled fishy so I decided to put the old google engine to use, glad I did.

Using " [email protected] " to send these scams.

I am in need of a good technician who can handle and help with the
problems am having with my Laptops.I have so many Laptops that I
receive from companies to get them repaired or formatted, but i need a
deligent and very honest Technician who will repair the
Laptops.Currently :

1 Format Hard Drive
4 AVG Virus Software
5 Adobe Acrobat Reader

Thank You.
Best regards
#71557 by policarpa2002 Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:01 am
I got the same email from the [email protected]

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 01:24:33 -0700
Subject: Re: Network Engineer

I am in need of a good technician who can handle and help with the problems am having with my Laptops.I have so many Laptops that I receive from companies to get them repaired or formatted, but i need a deligent and very honest Technician who will repair the Laptops.Currently :

1 Format Hard Drive
4 AVG Virus Software
5 Adobe Acrobat Reader

Thank You.
Best regards

Kelly,

Then she sent a shipper information in Brooklyn:
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 06:53:08 -0700
Subject: Re: Network Engineer

I have made out a Check to you in respect of the computer Reapair Job, I WANT YOU TO GET THE CHECK DEPOSITED in your Account and After deducting your Final Price Labour
,I want you to Forward the Balance to the Shipper, ,All the Laptops
are with her, So once you have forwarded the Balance she will ship the
Laptops to you and also ship it back once you are done with the
installation.....The Balance have to be forwarded Via Western union to
the Shipper so that she Can get the Laptops to you in Time.
SHIPPER INFORMATION'S FOR WESTERN UNION
Receivers Information:

----------------------------------
Receiver's Name: Victor Stevenson
Receiver's State: NY
Receiver's City: Brooklyn
Receiver's Zip Code: 11210

The Western union charges are to be deducted from our funds, When the Money has been transferred Let me have the information's Below

10 digit MTCN Number:
Amount Sent:
Amount Charged By Western Union :
Your Full Name and address as on the Western Union Slip:

I will be waiting to read back from you ASAP today and i also have some other assignment for you to do by next week.
I want you to be rest assured that I'll never stress you at all in any assignment given to you and i promise to pay your fees weekly as we both agreed.

Take good care of yourself and have a blessed day.

Thanks.

Tracking Number USPS :Express Mail® Label Number: EO 901 220 360 US

I sent her: Since this is just around the corner from home I will save you the extra money, and deliver the balance to the shipper myself and grab the laptos. Please provide us with the full address and phone number for him, It will be a pleasure to meet him in person!

The bank it will take at least 10 days to clear the check, so I will keep you posted it. If you have any questions please fell free to call me. then she sent me a shipper info as follows:
Sorry i made a Mistake in the Information that i sent you ,here is the Information of the Shipper...
Receivers Information:--------------------

Receiver's Name: John Sterenberg
Receiver's State: CO
Receiver's City: Louisville
Receiver's Zip Code: 80027
our Check take just 24-48hours to clear, so i want you to send $1000 to the shipper Today, because i have some other stuff that he need to ship out for me.

It seems that now our kelly lost patience becuase I told her that I will be cashing the check at the teller and not depositing it at the bank!
I called Sun Trust Bank and made them aware of the scam and provided the account holder Georgia Forestry Commisssion of Atlanta GA signer Charlotte Watson. The check aount was for 3,478.00
#71623 by Bubbles Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:39 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners policarpa2002. The person whose name you were given is probably a mule. Dotti wrote a great explanation of how this process works. You can find it here: viewtopic.php?p=71565#p71565

It is great that you didn't deposit the check. It really is best if you do not continue to mess with this scammer. Check and mule scammers put a lot of money into the scams they pull off. They can get retaliatory to someone they know the real life information about. We want our members to stay safe.

I hope you have stopped communicating with him.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#73129 by Bubbles Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:27 am
Welcome to ScamWarners BingerBerger. Yes, scammers often use more than one email address with the same scam script and scammers do purchase scripts from other scammers. It is great that you recognized the scam and didn't fall for it.

#74302 by majortone Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:48 am
Unfortunately I fell for this scam:

This kelly.george didnt tell me about the western union until after the check was in my possession. I found out about the scam a little late (after the check was deposited) but I have not spent any of the money. I immediately called the bank, and they told me not to use any of the money in the account, but that was it. Should I go a step further and get them to send the money back. I am not sure where to go with this at this point.
#74306 by Dotti Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:05 am
The bank is assuming that they will eventually confirm the fraud in the normal check clearing process, and they will automatically reverse the deposit once that happens. With most banks, that is really the only way to do it--since you are not the owner of the account the check is being drawn on, you can't put a stop payment on the check.

Just make sure you keep records of everything--save all emails, and take notes on any conversations with the bank, so that it is clear that you were not knowingly involved in fraudulent activities.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#74338 by mdriven Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:31 pm
I am glad I ran into this website regarding this issue. At first it sounded fishy to me about a client sending me a check before completing a job. Unfortunately I gave this person the benefit of the doubt but as soon as she/he explained to wire the remainder of the money to "Victor Stevenson", I took extra precautionary steps. The check was from Suntrust Bank which I went and they wouldnt cash or deposit the check. I sent an email back to [email protected] explaining the situation. She/He made a request to open up another bank account or go to a check cashing store. I refused to do that. Now every so often I get an email asking me if i deposited the check and why I am not responding. Now in these days, trusting people have become scarce. I appreciate scamwarners for this fraudulent warning.

BTW this scam was listed in South Florida...
#74365 by Bubbles Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:16 am
Welcome to ScamWarners mdriven and thank you for posting this information. It is always great to hear someone outsmarted the scammer.

It is best to ignore any future contacts from the scammer. He is testing to see if he can get you to deposit a forged check for him and send the cash to him.

Don't tell him you know he is a scammer or that he is exposed here. They learn how to be better scammers when they read their exposure.

#75035 by Shadowcat Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:16 am
I also got scammed by this person. I'm scared since I work from home and they have my address. What should I do?!