#270303 by Jane1980 Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:38 pm
Hello,
This is a variation of a scam that has been run by someone claiming to be Mark Pelton, he is now claiming to be BRANDON ANTONIO, [email protected].

He wrote to ask about "individual counseling services" for his 19 year old daughter, and after a couple of emails I told him I was not qualified in the area he needed. BUT, he STILL wanted to know my fees and insisted that I was the correct person to help his daughter Katrina.

The guy has changed his name, his daughter's name, and email address, but the scam seems the same.

He sent me one short email first, asking about my services. I cautiously replied asking for more details and got a second short email.
I replied and said that I was not in the field he needed, however he replied with a 3rd email and said I WAS the counselor he needed, and what were my fees - he then said we'd talk more when they arrived in the country.
I thought it was odd, to insist I help his 19 year old daughter when I had said I was not qualified to do so, so I googled his name (no joy) then googled some keywords in the last email - the words brought me to this scam thread.

I have copied his three emails below the line in case anyone else is searching using email text:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you offer individual counseling services? Please tell me your...

Available date:
Issues:
Specialty:
Presently Location:
Experience:

Thank you!

-----------------------------------------
Thank you for the email. I am seeking for one-to-one individual counseling services for my daughter. I got your name while searching through your location for a private counselor, my daughter is coming to your area, and i will want her to get something doing when she arrives in the area. I'll like to know if you can help in counseling her one-on-one sessions. Her name is Katrina, she is 19 years old, i have someone that will always picks her up from home stay and drops her off for her counseling and take her back to the home stay. So kindly let me know your charges cost per hour in order for me to arrange for her payment before she travels down to your area soon, i did not have insurance that cover the cost. She will be staying for 4 weeks, she will be available at any times/days schedules for the counseling starting from Oct 20, 2015. You can take her on any day convenient for you for 60 minutes counseling a day, 2 time per week for 4 weeks. You can just take her at your convenient schedule. I hope to read back from you soon.

Thank you,
Brandon
---------------------------------------------

Yes, you are the right counselor for my daughter and will talk more about this when we arrive in the States. Please give me your costs.
Advertisement

#270397 by Mike Wilson Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:54 pm
The scammer wants to send a stolen of forged check and have you deposit the check in your bank. He then will probably ask you to send part of the money to a third person to pay for the driver or cancel the session and ask for a refund.

Thanks for your email. Yes, my daughter agree to participate in counseling and it is her wish to have counseling with you. I am okay with the information given to me and about your fees is not too bad. I would be happy to have my daughter under your counseling. I will arrange for a home stay close to you where my daughter would be staying and can be coming to your place for the period of counseling in your area and i have someone that will always drive her to your location for the counseling and drive her back to home stay after counseling. I will talk more better with you prior our arrival in your place. As of the payment, I'm presently out of the Country, I'll make an arrangement with my Customer to make and mail a Bank Check for the full amount through Regular Mail so we can be assured, I don't have access to a bank transfer nor have a pay pal account..So,i will be willing to pay for your fees by a check in Dollars at for the full amount for the counseling, since this requires honesty and transparency, and this would be the safest most secure way and you would receive the payment next 2 days...I will instruct my customer to make out a check in your full name for the total for 8 sessions (2 sessions / week for 4 weeks) will be $2800, starting from Oct 27, 2015 for exact days of her visit.
So I would like you to give me your full name, contact address and your phone numbers so that I can instruct my customer to make out the certified check to you. Please get back to me as soon as you get this mail so that I can know my stand.
Thank you,
Brandon

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#270527 by Mike Wilson Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:33 pm
The following email shows how this scam works. The scammer is trying to mislead the victim by saying the check will clear in 24 hrs. In reality the funds will be made available but the check may not actually clear for several weeks. Once the bank finds out the check is worthless you are now liable for the full amount.
More information on fake check scams http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0159-fake-checks

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may caused you, i want you to know that my customer included my daughter's travel expenses to U.S into the Check sent out to you which made the Check more than your charges we agreed upon for counseling, so once again i am very sorry for the inconvenience. My customer made me to understand that he included my daughter travel expenses into the Check to avoid delay in traveling plans and the problem of splitting the Check into two, since it is within U.S. According to him and it is U.S Check, it will be cleared within 24 hours at your bank once deposit.

Once you receive the Check, deposit it in your bank for clearing and you are to take your own money for the counseling we agreed on, then you will forward the remainder of money to my daughter's guardian that would be care for my daughter during her stay in the Country and processing of all her air-ticket with the ticketing office for her trip to your place. Like i said, The remaining money sent to the guardian, will be for her trip to your place, feeding and other commissions. Hope i can trust you with the balance? I will also compensate you with extra $50 for your efforts and understanding. Hope i can trust you with the remainder of money?

I will be glad to hear back from you and I will want you to create a schedule that works for you and email me because she will be available at any times and days schedules. I hope she will see best of you?. I would be happy to discuss more of this prior our arrival in the Country. I look forward to hear back from you once this message received in order to be sure you got it.
Thank you for your understanding and consideration and we look forward to meet you soon!
Thank you and looking forward to hearing back from you.
Brandon

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon