HAVE QUESTIONS? - ASK FOR HELP HERE - Have you received an email you aren't sure about? Are you currently corresponding with someone you suspect is a scammer? Do you have questions about a scam? Post here for answers and advice.
#429888 by pickture Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:49 pm
A friend was trying to apply for a travel visa, and came across this site in a Google search ad: ugandaonlinetravels.com

The site has a link to apply now that goes to: ugandaimmigration.org

My friend sent in their passport, credit card, and other documents and information. My friend was then alerted somehow that this was a scam, and now they are worried about their identity being stolen.

Is there any way to know if this is a legitimate travel agency? If it is, I would like to give my friend some peace of mind. If it's fraud, I want to do whatever I can to report it and get it taken down.
Advertisement

#429906 by AlanJones Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:48 am
The domain ugandaonlinetravels.com was only registered about a month ago, which is a massive red flag.

The domain ugandaimmigration.org is 3 years old.

It looks to me like your friend has probably been conned into paying far more than is necessary to get a visa. If this is the case then the websites are legitimate, but dodgy.

Your friend may well get his passport back with the visa, but if he has concerns about the website then he should report the loss of his passport to the issuing authority and also notify his credit card company.

Locking this as it is not the type of thing we deal with.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.