HAVE QUESTIONS? - ASK FOR HELP HERE - Have you received an email you aren't sure about? Are you currently corresponding with someone you suspect is a scammer? Do you have questions about a scam? Post here for answers and advice.
#386149 by marfimk Sat May 18, 2019 11:50 am
Hello,

I am new to this forum, I logged in today, to get assistance.
I am selling a mobile phone and have been contacted by a potential buyer that has seen the add, but the strange part is that he is writing to me from a US number ( i am from EU) and wants the phone to be sent to Nigeria.
He agreed to pay the price and post expenses and said that the money will be transferred to my account.
Today i received this e-mail:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Beneficiary -----------,

We are contacting you regarding the payment that was sent to you byMr. Anthony Garcia Smith.The sum of $87.00 USD was sent to you by Mr. Anthony Garcia Smith and it has been Approved and the transfer details are stated below.

Your Pending Payment Statements

Amount: $67.00 USD
Transaction Fee:
Total: $20.00 USD Debited from buyer)
87.00 USD
Transfer #: HB3100538486US

Payment Title: NIL

Status: Pending, Awaiting Approval (Shipping Information Required)

The transfer has been approved and is ready to be transfer into your account, but before the money can be credited into your account, you would have to go ahead with the shipment of the item(s) and send the Shipment Tracking Number/Shipment Receipt for the Shipment Verification. Once the shipment verification is completed, your account would be credited. Your account details where the money would be transferred is stated below.
You should go ahead and ship out the buyer's item(s) now and send the copy of Shipment Receipt to the manager in charge of this transaction via [email protected] in other to activate your money into your bank account within the next 24-48 hours time, you will receive your money as soon as you have send us the scanned copy of the Shipment Receipt.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience or delay this may cause, we will like you to verify your bank information properly and see that there is no any mistake or error on your account details as above... If there is any error,please kindly contact us through the email below.

Important Notice:

Moreover, our customer cannot abort the transfer after you might have made the shipment. If you have a query about this transaction,please Email Us [email protected]

Thank you for using HSBC Online Banking System ( Wire Transfer )®.We look forward to serving your online with better services in the future.

Commissioner Sadik-Khan Signature
Yours Sincerely,

Inline image 1

John Flint

Fund Transfer Manager and Operations,

***ATTENTION***
The order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment within 72 hours of receiving this Transfer Payment Approval Notification and get to our Transfer department/Technical Dept. with the tracking number for Shipment Verification. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The name John Flint does appear as a high ranking person in HSBC, but not as someone in charge of this sort of matter.
What do you think? Any help? Where should i report this so this guy would not this again?

Thanks.
Advertisement

#386150 by AlanJones Sat May 18, 2019 12:16 pm
It's a definite scam. if someone sends you money by bank transfer or PayPal, the money will never be held pending you providing proof that the item has been shipped. If the money isn't showing in your bank/PayPal account then it hasn't been sent.

Just delete the email and block them.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.