Room for Rent and other rental scams
#30742 by Michelle Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:12 am
Date: Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 6:54 PM
To: Michelle

Thanks for your interest in my apartment. The apartment is available for
long term and the building is in a great location situated in the quiet and
safe area and offers secure access. internet, cable, laundry in-suite, storage facilities, heat, water, electric and parking is included in the rent and pet are allowed..

I tried to look for an agent that I could give the document & the keys before I left but could not find any as a matter of urgency. And I don't want home misused in my absence that is why I took the keys and documents along with me. So I hope you will promise me to take very good care of the apartment always.Here is the apartment address : 52 Maple Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

Attached are the interior pictures for you to have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks, I will like you to get back to me with your filled copy of the application form.
I look forward to hearing from you ASAP.

Regards.

Date: Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 5:20 PM
To: Michelle

Hi,

This is absolutely amazing, my daughter post the advert and she did it quite well. We are family with 2 son and 1 daughter. We just relocated to Minnesosta this is the reason why we want to rent out our former property. I will be here for long so I'm looking for a responsible & clean roommate that will be able to take good care of my apartment.. The apartment is available for long term and short term lease is also accepted. The rent includes all utilities and there is no additional charges incur. Pet is allowed with a deposit. The property is furnished and if you have your own. The furniture is moved into the storage space at the property, you will have to move them back into the apartment if you are not moving in with your stuff.

We don't really want to rent out the property but my family just decided we do so, all the necessary documents are here with us, including the rent receipts. If you really want to rent the property, you will need to provide the below information;

Full name:
Present Address of the applicants:

Zip code :

Ph#: Cell & Home :

Email:

Single Or Married :

Children:
Pet : If any ()

Date of Tenancy:

REFERENCES

Reference:

Ph#:

I want you to make sure the present address is not mistaken because that's where the keys and documents will be ship to. The contents of the shipment you will be expecting are;
1. Bunch of keys to the property.

2. Documents containing the lease agreement and property description , including the property address.

3. Rent receipts and damage deposit receipts.

4. The pictures of interiors and my family, I took before leaving the place.

I want you to email me once you fill the rent application form, the shipment of the package containing the keys and other documents will be ship by secure courier service once the deposit payment is paid.

Thank You.

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#33622 by ose Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:51 am
Same scam by different name. Craiglist need to pull the ad down.

------------------(This is the original craigslist post)
$1200 / 2br - Furnished apartment (Cambridge)

Date: 2010-07-21, 9:48AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Beautifully renovated 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment. Granite counters kitchen/baths. Appliances 13year. Living room with fireplace open to new kitchen for spacious feel. Hardwood down, Add'l sq.ft. in finished basement for workshop/workout/storage area. Pulldown attic. Gas Heat/Central Air.

cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1854593941

-------------------(This is the email reply)
Subject: Re: $1200 / 2br - Furnished apartment (Cambridge)
Date: July 22, 2010 1:08:22 AM EDT

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in wanting to be my tenant. I am looking for a responsible & clean tenants that will be able to take good care of my apartment because I work as Oil Expatriates and I do travel a lot, Presently I am in californiafor a research and I don't know when I will return back to the apartment that's why am looking for a tenants who will live in the apartment and take care of it. The apartment is available for long term and short term lease is also accepted. The property is located at: 52 Maple Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
. I will like you to drive by to the building today to view the exterior of the building for you to know where the apartment is located and get back to me so that I can forward you the full interior pictures to you to have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the next step which is the application process.

The apartment Features
ï High Speed Internet
ï In-Suite Laundry
ï Large in-suite storage
ï Cable

Its a spacious and lovely apartment, Utilities are included and Pets are allowed. Kitchen completely equipped, Kettle - Toaster - Dishwasher - Freezer - Microwave - Oven - Dryer - Heat - Water - Washing Machine and Electric.

I want you to note that I am a kind and honest man and also I spent a lot on my property that I want to give you for rent, and I would want you to treat it as your own, I would like you to keep it tidy all the time I also want you to let me have trust in you as I always stand on my word,the rental fee is ($1200) per month including utilities for the whole of the apartment and the security deposit is ($600). Kindly let me know if you wish to proceed further so that I can forward you the full interior pictures for you to have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the application process. You cant view the interior, you will be able to drive by and view it from outside.

I look forward to hearing from you.
#33623 by Jillian Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:12 am
Thanks for posting, ose. :D

The Scammer wrote:I want you to note that I am a kind and honest man

I'd like to note here that only scammers will say that in emails for conducting business.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners