Room for Rent and other rental scams
#28096 by Michelle Thu May 06, 2010 4:30 pm
Sent: May-06-10
To: Michelle
Subject: Re: $700 / 2br - Great Location! Furnished 2 Bedroom 2 Bathroom Apt (Downtown, Calgary)

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me,we are very glad that you are interested in renting our apt.We are couples married for 15 years blessed with a wonderful daughter.We have relocated to Vancouver,Washington due to a new branch open.

We are looking for responsible tenants that is going to be taking good care of our apt while we are away and we will be trusting you that you are going to be taking good care of our apt as we left it,the apartment is for long term and short term lease is also acceptable.Here is the address of the apt 1310 9th St. S.W. Calgary (Downtown) Alberta T2R 1C7 .The rent is $700 per month,Deposit $400 which include the utilities such as Water/Sewer,heat,hydro,gas,internet access e.t.c

The Apartment is furnished.we will like you to tell us your experience with renting..we are wondering maybe we can send you the application form for you to fill out.Also we will like to know when you want to take possession of the apartment so that we can discuss how to get the keys and neccessary documents to you..

I await your prompt response ASAP..

Sandra

Sent: May-06-10
To: Michelle
Subject: APPLICATION TO RENT/INTERIOR PICTURES

Thanks for your mail. The apartment is very much available for rent and the rental fees is $700.00 per month including utilities for the whole of the apartment and the deposit is $400.00, i want you to know that i appreciate your expression.So, i want you to stick to your words. The APPLICATION FORM is been attached to this mail for you to fill out and re-send back to me via email...

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in our file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the key to you,please we are giving you all this base on TRUST and again i will like to tell you that there is no way you can view the interior because the keys and the document is here with me in Vancouver,Washington and you driveby and view the exterior of the apartment for you to know where the apartment is located and i have attached the pictures of the interior pics for you to have an idea how the inside looks like.

I await your prompt response ASAP.

Sandra

PS- I was wondering maybe you have MSN OR YAHOO MESSENGER so that we can talk more on that.Yes the parking is included in the rent.

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement