Room for Rent and other rental scams
#27602 by Michelle Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm
Sent: 29 April 2010 08:03
To: Michelle
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: Studio to rent,Oxford Gardens, North Kensington, W10

Hi,I have the flat for rent.
The rent is 500£ per month including all bills and the concil tax.
I moved in Ireland because I got a new job. I work in a hospital. You can rent the flat as long as you need to stay even for 2 or 3 years.
The first payment will be for 2 months(1000£).
In case you want it, let me know so we can arrange the transaction.
For me is very hard to come in UK and if I will come i must be 100% sure that I will not come for nothing.
As you can see in the photos everything it's new in the flat and the flat is fully furnished, newly refurbished and also benefits from wood flooring.
- Toilet and Bathroom with Shower
- Kitchen with modern fittings
- Dish washer/Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Cable TV
- Wired Internet connection
-important parking place.
Please let me know what your intentions are....when you intend to move in?how long you want the contract to last for?how many people would be living in it and some other things you feel i should know.

I hope not a problem and understand my english that because I non-English

Get back to me

Regards

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#28252 by spancham Sun May 09, 2010 12:25 pm
Hi, I have the same experience. I was seeing property on Gumtree and I found her advet. After emailing my interest to see the property I received following reply. I was skeptical and searched her address on internet and I found above. Thanks, I was saved of falling in the trap.

XXXXX

-----
RE: Reply to your ad: 2 bed flat to rent,King Henrys Road, Primrose Hill, NW3
Sunday, May 9, 2010 3:46 PM
"kathy landorf" <[email protected]>
Add sender to Contacts
To: XXXXXXX

Hi,I have the flat for rent.
The rent is 700£ per month including all bills and the concil tax.
I moved in Ireland because I got a new job. I work in a hospital. You can rent the flat as long as you need to stay even for 2 or 3 years.
The first payment will be for 2 months(1400£).
In case you want it, let me know so we can arrange the transaction.
For me is very hard to come in UK and if I will come i must be 100% sure that I will not come for nothing.
As you can see in the photos everything it's new in the flat and the flat is fully furnished, newly refurbished and also benefits from wood flooring.
- Toilet and Bathroom with Shower
- Kitchen with modern fittings
- Dish washer/Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Cable TV
- Wired Internet connection
-important parking place.
Please let me know what your intentions are....when you intend to move in?how long you want the contract to last for?how many people would be living in it and some other things you feel i should know.

I hope not a problem and understand my english that because I non-English

Get back to me

Regards

Name removed - not needed - Michelle