Room for Rent and other rental scams
#25382 by Michelle Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:58 pm
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: Spacious and Wonderful 2 bedroom apartment to rent
To: Michelle
Date: Thursday, April 1, 2010, 5:40 PM

Thanks for the prompt response. Presently the apartment is still very much available for rent. Just to give you a little load down about the apartment. I resided in the apartment with my late husband whom i inherited the apartment from, and my only daughter Sara. I am a Citizen of United Kingdom. We recently relocated here in West Africa. Due to my new job offer with the (WHO) World Health Organization . The WHO is directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system.. And also i am about to get married again to my fiance in less than three months from now.

The flat is up for a total of 400 POUNDS per month including management fee. which i also think is fair enough considering the location. I just need someone with an open heart, love and clean to occupy the apartment and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the apartment for now.

The flat comprises of 1 bedroom. Excellent condition inside. Good sized lounge, with a sofa, DVD player, stereo, and washing machine. Can sleep a max of 3. Ideal for family and friends. The kitchen is fully equipped with all necessary cooking utensils. These are some of the measurement of the apartment.Reception room 17'0" 16'0" ( 5.18m x 4.88m , Kitchen 13'0" x 11'0" ( 3.96m x 3.35m ), Bedroom 1 13'0"x 11'7" ( 3.96m x 3.53m ), Bedroom 2 12'10" x 10'5" ( 3.91m x 3.18m ), Bathroom 6'10" x 5'10" ( 2.08m x 1.78m ), Guest WC 5'0" x 2'10" ( 1.52m x 0.86m.Kitchen 13'0" x 11'0" ( 3.96m x 3.35m )

I understand your worries in viewing the inside of the apartment. Just to let you know, the keys are right here with me. But there wouldn't be any problem with that. As it can be posted to you, after all necessary agreement has be reached and signed into lease as advised by my lawyer over here. Also i will like you to know that the rent charges is not really the issue , but your absolute maintenance of the apartment, because it is good to keep the property in good condition, just for the memories of my Late Husband. Who committed so much putting those facilities in place, so i wouldn't want an violation of my property if finally rented by you.

NOTE: THE APARTMENT IS 400 POUNDS PER MONTH BUT DUE TO THE CONSIDERATION THAT WE ARE NOT IN THE STATE PRESENTLY TO SHOW THE APARTMENT, AN APPLICATION FEE OF 40 POUNDS DEPOSIT MUST BE RECEIVED FIRST. THIS WILL ENABLE ME PAY THE LAWYER TO PREPARE LEASE AGREEMENT FOR BOTH PARTIES AND ALSO TO SEND THE KEYS AND DOCUMENT OF THE FLAT TO SERIOUS TENANT WHO IS WILLING TO OCCUPY THE SPACE.

Individually-controlled heat and air conditions in each room. Great neighborhood, great location. And please note the main utility bills are not inclusive in the rent, As you will have to personally settle the bills at your convenient time. which shouldn't be a problem if we later reach an agreement.And presently for now, there is no outstanding bills. So you would be starting the lease with a clean slate.
The minimum lease term is two months, and a maximum of two year with a possibility of extension.

If interested, you have to get back to me first with the answers to the rent application form.

This is my mobile which i am using over here.
+2348066789308 OR 00112348066789308

Kind Regards,
Sarah

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#28059 by vibetool Thu May 06, 2010 8:10 am
hey i was scammed by the same lady(sarah) and her husband Stanly

Re: $650 / 1br - Magnificent Building-Beverly Hills Adj.- Affordable Price! (Bronx)

Thanks for your email and it is my gladness to hearing from you.I am Sarah Rich, Myself and my husband Rich Stanley are the owner of the place you are making inquiry of. Actually I resided in there with my family before and presently we had packed due to my transfer from my working place and now situated in the United Kingdom London and presently it's still available for rent for $650 per month including the utilities like hydro,washer and security,it is furnished.Please i want you to note that,i am a kind and honest lady and also i spent lots on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of my property and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,it is not the money the main problem but want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i came for a check up.i do that once in a while.I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.
Am here in the London in UK, in our new house and also with the keys and Document and we are as well as don't want our properties to be used any how in our absent that is why we took it along with us. So i hope you will promise us to take very good care of it.So get back to me on how you could take care of the place or perhaps experience you have in renting home.Hope you are OK with the price of $650/month with hydro,heat laundry facilities,air condition, internet connection and so on ,also are you ready to rent it now or when? So i want you to stick to your words.Is that OK with you?And the below is the final question that you must answer to qualify for the rent of my unit.

Here is the Full Address of the Apartment; 1750 Bussing Ave Bronx, New York 10466

Landing 22'1" x 5'10" ( 6.73m x 1.78m )
Reception room 17'0" x 16'0" ( 5.18m x 4.88m )
Kitchen 13'0" x 11'0" ( 3.96m x 3.35m )
Bedroom 12'10" x 10'5" ( 3.91m x 3.18m )
Bathroom 6'10" x 5'10" ( 2.08m x 1.78m )
Guest WC 5'0" x 2'10" ( 1.52m x 0.86m )

,,,,,,,,,,,,,, RENT APPLICATION FORM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Also,Pls let me get this answer.
1)Your Full Name
2)Present Address(where you reside now) & Phone Number
3)How old are you?
4)Are you married?
5)How many people will be living in the house?
6)Do you have a pet?
7)Do you have a car?
8 )Occupation?
9)What is your religion?
10)Pictures of all occupants that will be living in the apartment
11)Can you afford the first 2months and get 1 month extra for free
(12) When are you Moving in?

My direct contact phone # +447024070851

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt in your name and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the documents and the keys to you,please we are giving you all
this based on trust and again i want you to stick to your words. We are putting everything into God's hand,so please do not let us down in this property of ours and God bless you more as you do this.
Regards..

Sarah

then she replied with this:

Hello Frank

I have gotten the application form. I have gone through it, and also
well satisfied with the information. So we can proceed with the
deposit. We would like to send the following documents to you via UPS
Service and the tracking number will be sent to you so that you can
possible occupy our house immediately. Once again,we are giving you
this on trust and do not disappoint us and i promise you that you will
love the house.

Here is my phone # +447024070851

Here are the contents of the packages

1)Entrance and the rooms Keys
2)Paper/Permanent house form (Containing your reference details)
3)The house document file.
4)First Month Rent Payment Receipt

Note: First month deposit is requied to post the package first thing
tomorrow morning

Your information has been kept in my file here in case of issuing the
receipt for you and contacting you for further purpose. Then i will
need a reliable address on which to send the keys, and a convenient
day for you to receive the keys. As i would want it to be delivered to
you in person. If you know what i mean. And understand, you have to do
this in good faith, and also keep your promise of sending update pics
of the apartment. Then we can sort out the delivery,rent and moving
date.Then let me know what you feel about this.

Can't wait to hear from you soon

Quotes added for clarity - Michelle
#28084 by David Jansen Thu May 06, 2010 2:58 pm
Welcome here vibetool.

I'm sorry to see you got scammed. Their method of scamming is used often by these scammers. I see that the scammer is now using a +4470 re-direct number, maybe the Nigerian mobile number got suspicious.
It's really sad that you've lost your money, and on top of that getting a fake check. Thanks for posting this!

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.