Room for Rent and other rental scams
#23463 by Michelle Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:55 am
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010
Subject: Fill In The Rent Application Form
To: Michelle

Hi
Am Gerrard Parker the owner of 2 bedroom flat, I want you to know that it was due to my transfer that makes me, my Wife and Son to leave the house and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the lucky Tenant that will rent it should take it as if it were its own.. So for now, We are here in West Africa (Nigeria) in our new home and we put all our worries off concerning the maintenance of the apartment since We are not residing there for now.
We left some Facilities and electronics which include the rent,and a DVD player,air conditioning, alarm system. The kitchen is fully equipped with all necessary cooking utensils,a refrigerator-freezer, four-hob and oven, microwave,dishwasher and washing machine, My Computer Connected with Internet Access Also the keys to the House are right here with us, and the lease document. Which we will send to you after all necessary agreement has be accepted. Also We want you to know that the rent charges is not really the issue ,but your absolute maintenance of our apartment is most important thing and you can go view the apartment at this address: 35 Scott Hall Grove, Leeds LS7 3JH, Kindly get back to us with the Application form below:

FILL IN THE RENT APPLICATION FORM

1)Full Name
2)Full Address & Phone Number
3)How old are you?
4)Are you married?
5)How many people will be living in the house?
6)Do you have pet?
7)Do you have car?
8 )Occupation?
9)When do you want to move in?
10How long do you want to stay in my apartment?

One Mr Mark called me about the apartment but i told him i can't give him the apartment because he loves smoking,drinking and We don't want him to get drunked and damaged our property one day. Note that the rent is going to be £400 Per month No extra fees, you can call me anytime (+2347085977815).

Await your urgent response so we can proceed on how to get the documents and the keys of the house to you asap.
Thanks

Gerrard

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement