Room for Rent and other rental scams
#23462 by Michelle Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:49 am
Sent: 26 February 2010 22:17
To: Michelle
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: Magnificent and lovely ONE bedroom flat in Plymouth Short and Long Term

Thanks for your response Michelle i wouldn't want you to get me wrong i would have asked you to provide your bank statement but some prospective candidate has misused the opportunity in the past providing fake document. The idea of making a confirmation of your financial ability is not only my idea, my lawyer and i decided to use that process and i wouldn't want to violate my lawyer procedure because he's my personal legal adviser.

However, i didn't want to collect any money from you as long as you have not sign a contract neither have i taken you round my flat. All what i request of you is to transfer the deposit through Western union money transfer agent using your Your name as a sender and your Friend of relatives name as a receiver to an address in Plymouth, once you've done that, you get back to me with a scan copy of the transfer receipt so that i can forward it to my lawyer to confirm if the transfer is valid. After the confirmation might have been made by my lawyer, then we can proceed with the viewing on your arrival and also, i will return the cost of the transfer without any deduction. If eventually you don't want to proceed with the rent, i promise to return the cost of the transfer as well.

Kindly let me know your opinion as soon as possible

Mrs Smith

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement