Room for Rent and other rental scams
#21799 by Michelle Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:08 pm
Sent: Mon, Feb 8, 2010 3:53 pm
Subject: Roommate

Hello,
How are you doing? Guess fine I presume.My name is diana turner am very simply and quiet person to livewith. I am writing just to confirm if you still have the room for rent.................If YES please I will like to have answers to the following questions below:
1) I will like to know the description of the room, size, and the social apparatus/equipments in there.
2) I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities.
3) Also I will like to know if there is any garage or parking space cause i will have my own car come over.
4) I will also be coming with some of my furniture, that is if it is allowed, like bed, book shelf cause I read alot, shoe rack etc
Am from Canada and I will be having some seminars coming up soon . Right now am working for a NonGovernment Organization on a program on children with orphans and heart related probs.
My next program/seminars will be in Your Neighbourhood and I will need a room to stay for these seminars, so I want to secure a room before my arrival to the states.
I can't wait to arrive to us cause I've heard a lot about the state....Moreso I will be staying for the period of 12-13 months, Pls do get back to me with the room description, move in rent fees for the first month, Utilities and deposit if included. And if any picture of the room is available, kindly attach it with your reply please.
Hope to read from you. Have a wonderful and productive day.Kindly Hit me Back
Kindest Regards.
diana

Advertisement

#22739 by Dotti Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:55 pm
"Her" scam will be a fake check or transfer scam (Most likely it is really a male in Nigeria behind the scam--one sign you can look for is language, and whether it is consistent with where the scammer claims to come from--in this case the person clearly is not from Canada, as the English is absolutely atrocious. The mistakes are also the typical mistakes of an African--).

Most common scenario: "She" or her "organization" will send a check for OVER the cost of the deposit, etc. She will ask that the check be deposited, and the excess be sent by Western Union to some other party (her mover, a shipper, whatever). The check will be good enough that it passes initial review, and the bank will allow you to take out cash. Unfortunately, weeks later, the bank will discover the check is a fake or was drawn on a phished account. They will then deduct the balance of the check from your account, plus any fees for the fake check, insufficient funds after they take the money back, etc.. And, you could end up with a visit by the police, and possibly even face arrest for check fraud.
On occasion, a scammer will use a bank transfer or paypal for the transaction. If a bank transfer, once again it will come from a stolen or phished account, and if paypal, the emails from "paypal" confirming the payment to you will be fakes.
Rarely, the payment will be for the right amount, but an emergency will arise, and your scammer will have to cancel, requesting a refund for part of the deposit, again quickly and by a money transfer service.

In all scenarios, by the time it is over, the scammer will be gone, and your money with him.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.