Room for Rent and other rental scams
#412750 by Michelle Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 am
"Gertruda Hagias" <[email protected]>

Hello,

We can set up a viewing for next week, as per your convenience. What is your availability?

The apartment is furnished and equipped, but if you want to bring your own furniture, we can move ours into the private cellar in the basement.

My daughter spent six years in Cologne, studying and working for an international sales company. We're renting out the place, cause she was assigned to a new job as a team leader for a tech start-up company in our home country, Greece. As we don't have any plans of selling the apartment in the future, we want to move forward with the rental process.

It's our second attempt to rent the place, as we had an agreement with a couple who wanted to settle in the apartment. They convinced me to come over to Germany, but they canceled last minute, deciding for a shared place instead. I lost money and precious time on their promise.

I will not ask for any advance payment sent to me, until you will see the apartment and you might decide to rent it!

Please tell me a bit more about yourself. Also where are you from?

Thank you,
Gertruda

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement

#412783 by Manfri Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:59 pm
This came next in my case. I wonder how they can get later on my money...with the receivers name and the picture of the transfer?
---------------------------

Dear xxxxx,

If you're really interested and decided, you can secure the apartment from now on, and I will keep it available for you until we meet.

It is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my apartment without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought great loss to me.

I'm sure you are an honest person so please don't understand me wrong but some tenants are not really decided or do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb me to arrange a viewing with their friends.

My husband and I have decided to carry out a simple test on seriousness and financial ability before coming for viewing.

I want to be sure that when we'll meet in Cologne, there might be a chance that we'll do the renting papers, sign the renting contract, give you the keys and return to my home if you really like the flat conditions. I will not ask for money in advance before moving in, I don't need any deposit from you or pay me any money at all.

But as a warranty that you really can afford to rent my apartment, I require that you arrange a money transfer, on your name !

Because I used this system with my daughter when she lived in Cologne, here is what I propose:

A family member must send you, a Money Gram transfer with the cost of the security deposit + first month's rent ( 850 € + 400 € = 1250 € ) sent to you, and on your name.

This transfer will be a warranty, so I can be sure that you will wait for me in Cologne when I arrive.

Example of transfer:

sender’s name : family member's name

receiver’s name : xxxxxxccc
receiver’s address :ccccc

After the transfer is done, you will receive a receipt. You have to take a picture of it and send it to me attached through email, as evidence. This proof will be enough for me to see that your interest in renting my apartment is real.

At my turn, I will book my flight ticket immediately and I will send you a copy of it. Then we can schedule our meeting in Cologne.

Therefore you will inspect the apartment and if you will want to keep it, we will go to a notary office and do all the needed paperwork. Then, we’ll go together to a bank branch that has a MoneyGram office and you will collect your money, and make a bank deposit in my personal account where I want to receive the monthly payment rent.

Please note that I will pay for the notary fees when signing the rental contract.

Thanks for your time and understanding,
Gertruda