Room for Rent and other rental scams
#39740 by Con Warner Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:05 pm
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 00:05:25 -0700
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: A charming one bedroom for rent in Bristol
To: Con Warner

Hello,

Thanks for the interest in my flat, i can make reservation for you, my flat is fully finished and furnished to a high standard with necessary amenities required in an ideal flat. Below are the things you should know about my flat.

Rent

The rent is 80 pounds per week bills are inclusive in the rent,such as Electricity, water,TV license broadband wireless internet and gas.

Security deposit 400pounds

At this point that you want to rent my flat, i have a few questions for you:

1. Can you take good care of my flat?
2. How long do you intend to rent?
3. Can you provide reference in Bristol?
4. Where are you coming from to rent my flat?.

I require answers to my questions before we can proceed with the reservation processes.

However owing to my past unpleasant experience of inviting intending tenant to view my flat without confirming if they are actually able to pay their rent at the right time has caused me a great discomfort and as such do not want to experience it anymore, because i have to travel all the way to take interested candidate round my flat. I do hope you understand my point of view. In view of the previous occurrences, I do not want to collect any money from you as i have not taken you round my flat and signed your contract with my lawyer, but my lawyer have strongly advised me to confirm that an intending tenant can pay for his or her rent as at when due, so before we can proceed for the viewing, I will like to confirm if you can afford my rent. All you need to do now is to make a transfer of Two (2) weeks rent plus security deposit of £400 to your friend or partner within the UK through money gram transfer. The reason for using money gram transfer is that it is faster and my lawyer can easily confirm the transfer almost immediately she receives the scanned copy of the transfer receipt or the details of the transfer.

Once you are done with the transfer, get back to me with the scanned copy of the transfer receipt and if you do not have access to a scanner you can as-well write out the details on the transfer receipt as i forward it to my lawyer to confirm if the transfer is valid and
available for pick-up by your friend or partner.Once my lawyer confirms the transaction valid, i will then ask you to tell your friend to go and pick up the money for you, then we can immediately schedule a convenient time for the viewing. I shall refund the cost of
transfer to you when we meet for the viewing. After the viewing, if you like my flat,you can proceed to signing the contract and then pay your rent and security deposit to me directly.

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Do not hesitate to ask anymore question.

Best Regards.

Mrs Alice

This person asks for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union payment to a friend or family member.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, this person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union and they will send the keys through a courier company.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement