Room for Rent and other rental scams
#39533 by Michelle Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:23 pm
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: My Flat Details
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 04:34:23 -0700

Hello,
Thanks for your reply and understanding,It is my pleasure and happiness to have you as my flatmate, i have attached the picture of the bedroom you will be staying , sitting room,your bathroom and toilet and also the kitchen along with this email. so pls i will want you to look at it and get back to me with your available full name, full address and full contact details to prepare a tenancy form for you if you are interested in the flat.
Address: Marylebone Highstreet(London, Marylebonet), SW1V 1RQ.
Rent: £90.00 Per Week (£360.00 Per Month)including utilities,refundable Deposit: £500.00.
Utilities include: electricity, gas, cable, phone. internet access(Broad Band)
Available:FROM NOW
Flatmate Description
Personal info:(Mr & Mrs)Bless Morgan, 27 yrs. old , Female , Straight , Professional, Pharmacist, Spanish/British
there are no pets in the flat, non smoker.
Preferred flatmate description
Smoker: Doesn't matter Orientation: Doesn't matter
Pet: Doesn't matter
Room and apartment description
Features:Flat, Parking available in the garage,
No parking cost, 3 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms
HOME AMENITIES:
Alarm system,Cable ready,Washer,Dryer,Dishwasher,Microwave,Kitchen access,Storage.
Bedrooms amenities:
Phone line,TV,En Suite,Broadband internet,Ensuite room has Broadband Internet,bed, shower, sink and toilet,desk, chair,drawers and wardrobe.
House amenities:
Fully Furnished,Air conditioning,Private entrance,Phone jack,Cable jack, Closet.
Regards
Bless Morgan

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement