Room for Rent and other rental scams
#39490 by Con Warner Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:38 am
Hello,
My name is Dzolik Natalija and I received your email of interest for the rental of my apartment located in Runeberginkatu 4b/13, 00100 Helsinki, Suomi.
I'm looking for someone to live in the apartment, as soon as possible, because my company has won an auction for a big construction project in London, United Kingdom. I'm a project manager in civil engineering, so my accommodation period here will be very large (more than 5 years).
I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons do you intend to live in my apartment, for what period, etc. I must tell you from the beginning that I don't have a problem if you are a student and I don't have a problem with pets.
Now I am going to tell you something about the apartment and myself so we can get to know each other.
The apartment is furnished, but I have the option of sending all my furniture into my private storage if you want to bring your own (no extra costs). The rent for 1 month is 450 EUR (for the whole apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, internet, cable, parking).
About myself, I am 37 years old and as I told you I am a project manager and my job even though it pays very well takes all of my time. I bought this apartment while I was working on a 4 year contract in Finland.
You can move in the apartment in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys but I already found a solution.
Thank you for your interest and looking forward to a future collaboration and friendship.
Please contact me directly: [email protected]

Best regards,
Natalija

Hi again,
Thanks very much for your reply, I can see your willingness to rent the flat. Your application form is being approved, so you can rent the apartment if you are still interested, of course. I shall be renting you my home, please take care of the flat like it were your own.
I am giving you the flat in trust so please don't disappoint me. I promise you that you will love the apartment. I agree with a short term rental.
I am in London now but I found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by an escrow company called MoneyBookers.
Please click on the link bellow to the MoneyBookers website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company where the procedure is explained: https://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=escrow&l=EN.
The apartment will be ready for you (already furnished, new duvets, covers, blankets and everything), you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it.
Obviously we need a way to complete this process, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order to do that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast. I left the keys and contract of the apartment, already signed by me, at a escrow company called MoneyBookers http://www.moneybookers.com They will handle the transaction (payment and delivery for us).
We will use this company just for this time so we can trust each other.
Please let me know if you are still interested to rent my apartment and if so, i will be in contact with Moneybookers to initiate the exchange procedure (keys and legal documents / security deposit).
Just so you understand, this is the procedure:

-You give me your name and address and I will contact moneybookers, and make all the arrangements for the transaction to be set up;
-Moneybookers contacts you and gives you instructions;
-You pay moneybookers agent assigned with our transaction the amount of EUR 900 (it represents the first month of rent + one month as rental guarantee which will be released to you at the end of the rental contract);
-Monkeybookers sends you the keys and the contract;
-You have 14 days to inspect apartment since the arrival date;
-If you want to keep the apartment, they give me the money, and we go on from there;
-If you do not keep the apartment, you give the keys/contract back to moneybookers and you get your money back.

This will be in writing in the moneybookers contract I will sign.
The MoneyBookers fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure, you will have to pay for the money transfer fees when you will have to pay the moneybookers agent.
I will wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your daytime phone number and I will initiate the moneybookers transaction.
If you want to continue I will also send you a copy of my driver licence and passport for reassurance.

Thanks again for your time and look forward to hear from you soon.

Best Regards
Natalija

Hello,
First of all I am glad that you agreed to continue the rental process for my apartment. I will now communicate your details to Moneybookers and they will contact you soon with more info.
The notice period I thought it should be 2 or 3 weeks, this way I will have time to look for other tenants.
I have attached a copy of my passport for reassurance.
Now i will wait for your news when moneybookers has contacted you.

Best regards,
Natalija

Finally, an email claiming to be from "Moneybookers Support" ([email protected]) asking for payment.
Do not believe the email claiming to be from Moneybookers!
The email address is being used by the scammer requesting payment to the person below.

Moneybookers Agent (Receiver):
First name: Onette
Last name: Leroup
Address: 65 Lovel Rd.
City/State: Liverpool
Postal Code: L24 1WG

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union with a promise that he will send the keys through a courier company.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union payment to a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement