Room for Rent and other rental scams
#38434 by Michelle Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:34 pm

To: Michelle
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: A lovely onebedroom flat in cambridge
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 00:53:07 +0100

thanks for your swift response.It is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my flat without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Ireland to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work as a pastor of (Kilrush Church of Ireland Graveyard, Co. Wexford ).

Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who are in cambridge, also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by there employees.

Henceforth my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing.All what i requested from you is to transfer at least 1 Month rent(£ 300) and security deposit which is (£ 500) = (800) through Western Union Money Transfer. You can make the transfer with your name as the sender and a Family Member or friend's the receiver in the UK premises.

Once you have done this, Scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details as it is stated on the receipt as i will be sending it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your family member or friend's custody, after verification, then we can proceed for the viewing and you can as well tell your friend or Family member to pick up the money and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer when we meet.yes will can sign a contract of the tenancy as well

Kindly reply if you have more questions to ask. +447024070687

Regards
pastor jenas

To: Michelle
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: A lovely onebedroom flat in cambridge
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 16:00:09 +0100

Thanks for getting back to me. I wouldn't want you to get me wrong,
the idea of making a confirmation of your financial ability is not
only my idea, my lawyer and i decided to use that process and i can't
violate my lawyer procedure. I am a God fearing man and i am not
after your money. I have my own work and i earn enough money for my
family and also to help the less privileged.

However, i didn't want to collect any money from you as long as you
have not sign a contract neither have i taken you round my flat. All
what i request of you is to transfer the deposit to someone close to
you through Western union money transfer agent, once you've done that,
you get back to me with a scan copy of the transfer receipt so that i
can forward it to my lawyer to confirm if the transfer is valid. After
the confirmation might have been made by my lawyer, i will ask you to
tell you friend to pick up the money and schedule a convenient day for
the viewing. If even truly you don't want to proceed with the rent, i
promise to return the cost of the transfer without any deduction.
the security deposit will be return back to you.you are not loosing any money okay

I look forward to reading from you soon

regards
pastor jenas

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#38705 by doubledrop Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:20 am
Thank God I found this site.

I knew it was too good to be true :cry:

To:
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: well presented onebedroom flat in glasgow
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:02:23 +0100

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. My flat is still
available for rent and here are the necessary things you need to know
about the rent and deposit.

Rent : £ 100.00 pw
Minimum Stay : 1month Security Deposit: £ 500.00 (Returnable at
the end of a week stay in my flat)
Utility bills inclusive ( water, gas, council tax, TV license and
wireless Internet) Utility Cost : £ 0.00 pcm

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know
some few question about you. Can you take care of my flat as it is?
How many months do you intend to rent and pay for? Do you have
references in glasgow? Kindly let me know when you will be able to
come for the viewing of the flat.I will be looking forward reading
back from you and i will like to know where you are coming from to
stay in my flat.

Regards
pastor jenas