Room for Rent and other rental scams
#34685 by missbean Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:16 pm
This woman's name doesn't come up as a scammer if you google her, but she says she's a wedding planner, and that made me suspicious because a 'Christine Mcquillan' who is a wedding planner does come up as a scammer on lots of sites. The rent offered is fine, and the language is good but she doesn't mention what part of the city the house is in, which is a bit strange. What do you think?

Hello,

The house is 900 sq ft, two-storey, wooden floors throughout, warm and spacious. Recently refurbished living room is bright and comfortable, new oak floor, cable TV/DVD, large comfortable sofa and gas fire (great in winter). Double glass doors lead from the living room through to the kitchen (all mod cons). Kitchen has has two windows overlooking a leafy, private yard and a natural stone floor that runs through to a large, sunny conservatory with dining table - perfect for lazy Sunday afternoons. The conservatory is good for working or entertaining and having two living spaces is great.

Wooden staircase leads to three bedrooms and two bathroom - room to let has a large window and huge built-in wardrobes, double bed, shelving units,free-standing lamp and bedside table. Bathroom is recently renovated with full bath and electric power-shower (no need to wait for hot water in the morning!). Lots of storage space, clean and bright... the perfect home!
Excellent Bus & links, free on street parking, a great variety of local amenities (Supermarkets, Shops, Off License etc) plus mere minutes from the City Centre!

You would be living with a laid-back 23-year-old I'm a student at University and also work as wedding planner as part time job and this have been taking too much of my time , female, social and friendly and honest.

Ideally you are friendly, social, 20-55, mature and up for the odd pint or glass of vino. Male or female. You'll be good with the basics of house sharing and welcome (the house has recently become home to a kitten who is very friendly).

£500 per month plus bills and the security deposit of £350 refundable. A month's rent in advance and a deposit is required.

* Free Parking
* Central Heating
* Wireless Broadband
* Cable Television
* Fully Furnished
* Gas Fire.

Available for long term and short term period and also available for couple's........Interested tenant should contact me for more information.

Cheers!
Christiane Maillard.]
Advertisement

#34689 by Samantha Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:28 pm
Definitely a scam. Googling sections of that script bring up different posts. For example "Ideally you are friendly, social, 20-55, mature and up for the odd pint or glass of vino" leads to this ad posted by someone using the name "Lynsey" and describing a different place.

Room for rent scams are VERY common today, and very dangerous. I'm glad you are being so cautious and doing some research.
#34852 by Michelle Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:17 am
@ missbean

Thank you for the information - Would you please post the e-mail address associated with the suspicious mail.

This will help others when they are searching for their 'landlord's' details on the Internet.