Room for Rent and other rental scams
#403652 by Michelle Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm
"Martine laecke" [email protected]

Hello,

My name is Martine and I saw your message regarding your interest in renting my flat.

The apartment is still available, the monthly rent for the whole apartment is 660 EUR per month, utilities included:
• Highspeed-Internet
• Nebenkosten (Wasser / Gas / Strom / Heizung)
• TV-Kabel
• Parkplatz
• Digital television

I worked in Germany for a Multifunctional Center for Social Services. Now I have been promoted to a better position in the United Kingdom and I decided to rent the apartment for the time that I will have to work here. Now I'm out of Germany and if you want to rent my apartment, I will hire a real estate agency to do the rental transaction. I want to tell you that I am looking for a serious, responsible and clean person to rent the apartment that will take care of the apartment as if it were its own. So I would like to know more details about yourself: How old are you, if you are married, if you have a pet, occupation etc.

I`m waiting your email if you're still interested, I can also send you more photos with the apartment.
Speaking English is much easier for me

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement

#403716 by KA-J Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:49 pm
Hello,

My name is Martine and I saw your message regarding your interest in renting my flat.

The apartment is still available, the monthly rent for the whole apartment is 680 EUR per month, utilities included:
• High speed internet
• Additional costs (water / gas / electricity / heating)
• TV cable
• Parking spot
• Digital television

I worked in Luxembourg for a Multifunctional Center for Social Services. Now I have been promoted to a better position in the United Kingdom and I decided to rent the apartment for the time that I will have to work here. Now I'm out of Luxembourg and if you want to rent my apartment, I will hire a real estate agency to do the rental transaction. I want to tell you that I am looking for a serious, responsible and clean person to rent the apartment that will take care of the apartment as if it were its own. So I would like to know more details about yourself: How old are you, if you are married, if you have a pet, occupation etc.

I`m waiting your email if you're still interested, I can also send you more photos with the apartment.
Speaking English is much easier for me.

---------
My reply, then scammer replied back
---------

I've attached photos with the apartment and I hope to be on your taste.
I want to rent the apartment fully furnished as you can see in the photos, but if you have your furniture we can arrange this aspect.

At this time the apartment is vacant and you can move when you want after we finalize all formalities. You can rent the apartment for a minimum period of 2 months. The maximum period is 2 years (as stipulated by law) with possibility of extension.

The deposit is 1.200.00 Eur (totally refundable at the end of your stay). Total amount to move in my flat is 680.00 Eur (Monthly rent) + 1.200.00 Eur (Deposit) = 1.880.00 EUR

I've already spoken to an agency of this kind that is named HomeAway. They handle all necessary documents and also I'll pay the fees charged by them. I will make the pre-contract with the agency here to leave the keys in their custody and they will contact you with the required rental formalities so you can make the necessary payment deposit to move in (deposit + first month). When the agency confirms your bank deposit they will send the keys to HomeAway so you can go with their agents to visit the apartment and sign the final contract.

- In the case, after your visit with the real-estate agents, you don't like the flat, in 24 hours the agency will make you full refund (without any fees). I don't think that will be the case because the apartment is very clean and tidy, as you can see in the pictures.

If you agree with my conditions send me your personal details so that I can go to the agency to start the renting formalities:

Your full name, address and phone number:
Nationality:
The day when you want to move in:
How many months / years you estimate to stay:
I would also like to know how many people will live there and if you can send me a copy of your identity card or passport, it might be necessary to the real estate agency.

I appreciate your interest in renting my flat and even thinking about a future friendship.

Best regards,