Room for Rent and other rental scams
#381001 by Michelle Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:06 pm

The apartment I own on Mina Ave. Memphis is available and ready to move in as we speak at a monthly rent of 700.00 for the entire property. A few things about myself, I'm 52 years old and I am inspecting offshore oil rigs. Oh, and you can call me James. Most of the time I am offshore, I return to Memphis a few times/year.
If interested, please give me some details about you (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). What else...? the neighborhood is very safe, behaved pets are allowed. The move in amount will be first month + one deposit.
I would need a few rental details as well, how long do you plan to rent the apartment, starting when?

I'm currently on an oil rig but I could plan my trip to Memphis so I can show you the apartment. I'm sure you will love it, no one lived there since I've taken the photos.

Best Regards,

Casey James Joseph
(IADC Certified Engineer)
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (760) 372-6280
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF DRILLING CONTRACTORS
3657 Briarpark Drive, Suite 200 Houston, TX 77042 USA

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Everything sounds great. Unfortunately I don't think I can return on dry land until the end of March due to my job so I can't meet you face to face until then. But I have a solution.
Here it is:
I am going to list the apartment on HomeAway or Airbnb, (you choose which one you prefer or the one you're more familiar, both are multi-billion rental companies like google or amazon) you reserve the place and you can live there at no charge until I come back from the oil rig. This way you'll have like a trial period until the actual rent starts so you can familiarize with the neighborhood, the apartment, the amenities. I think is only fair to have this period before you jump into a large period commitment.
They will only require a $1000.00 security deposit to cover any potential damage cost or if the apartment will not be vandalized or something. This security deposit will be fully refunded the same day the trial period ends.
Once you confirm the reservation I will mail you the key with FedEx at your current address. Then I'll sort my trip and we can have the rental agreement signed and all. If by any reason after the trial period will end you decide not to go ahead with the rent, just let me know so I don't have to make this long trip.
To be honest, the trial period helps me a lot too. I get to see how you maintain the apartment and I have the certainty that I don't make the trip just to show you the apartment.

If you're aboard, just let me know if you prefer Airbnb or HomeAway, send me your full name, rental period and a copy of your ID (front and back) or Passport so I can activate the listing and send you the rental offer.

I will attach the photos and description of the apartment to this email. Please remember to add my email to your contact list, last time I got an error when attaching the photos.

Casey James Joseph
Phone: (760) 372-6280

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake!
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement

#381012 by xzzxyx Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:25 pm

Hello, thank you for your inquiry,
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job).
The apartment I own on 601 E Ogden Ave, Milwaukee, WI is available and ready to move in as we speak at a monthly rent of 1120.00 for the entire property. A few things about myself, I'm 52 years old and I am inspecting offshore oil rigs. Oh, and you can call me James. Most of the time I am offshore, I return to Milwaukee a few times/year.
If interested, please give me some details about you (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). What else...? the neighborhood is very safe, behaved pets are allowed. The move in amount will be first month + one deposit.
I would need a few rental details as well, how long do you plan to rent the apartment, starting when?

I'm currently on an oil rig but I could plan my trip back to Milwaukee so I can show you the apartment. I'm sure you will love it, no one lived there since I've taken the photos.

P.S. I tried to send you the photos of the apartment but I get an error, can you add me or my email address to your contact list? Maybe that's why it doesn't went through.

Best Regards,
Casey James Joseph
#381792 by kjon Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 pm
Hello, thank you for your inquiry,
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job).
The apartment I own on 224 W Rittenhouse Sq, Philadelphia is available and ready to move in as we speak at a monthly rent of 1300.00 for the entire property. A few things about myself, I'm 52 years old and I am inspecting offshore oil rigs. Oh, and you can call me James. Most of the time I am offshore, I return to Philadelphia a few times/year.

I'm currently on an oil rig but I could plan my trip back to Philadelphia so I can show you the apartment. I'm sure you will love it, no one lived there since I've taken the photos.

P.S. I tried to send you the photos of the apartment but I get an error, can you add me or my email address to your contact list? Maybe that's why it doesn't went through.

I.A.D.C. Certified Engineer - Casey James Joseph

#381794 by kjon Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:39 pm
Hello again,
Everything sounds great. Unfortunately I don't think I can return on dry land until the end of March - mid April due to my job so I can't meet you face to face until then. But I have a solution.
Here it is:
I am going to list the apartment on HomeAway or Airbnb, (you choose which one you prefer or the one you're more familiar, both are multi-billion rental companies like google or amazon) you reserve the place and you can live there at no charge until I come back from the oil rig. This way you'll have like a trial period until the actual rent starts so you can familiarize with the neighborhood, the apartment, the amenities. I think is only fair to have this period before you jump into a large period commitment.
They will only require a $1000.00 security deposit to cover any potential damage cost or if the apartment will not be vandalized or something. This security deposit will be fully refunded the same day the trial period ends.
Once you confirm the reservation I will mail you the key with FedEx at your current address. Then I'll sort my trip and we can have the rental agreement signed and all. If by any reason after the trial period will end you decide not to go ahead with the rent, just let me know so I don't have to make this long trip.
To be honest, the trial period helps me a lot too. I get to see how you maintain the apartment and I have the certainty that I don't make the trip just to show you the apartment.

Best Regards,
Casey James Joseph