Room for Rent and other rental scams
#212263 by Michelle Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:29 am
Sent: 28 July 2014 06:33

To: Michelle Banks
Subject: RE: one bedroom flat

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat.My flat is still available for rent and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit.

Rent £400 pcm : £ 100.00 pw
Security Deposit: £ 500.00 (Returnable at the end of a week stay in my flat)
Utility bills inclusive ( water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet) Utility Cost : £ 0.00 pcm.

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you.Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have references in UK?. Kindly reply for further information and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat.

I look forward to reading from you.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Pedro

Sent: 28 July 2014 09:32
To:Michelle Banks
Subject: RE: one bedroom flat

Thanks for the swift reply.My flat is still available for rent.I am willing to have you in my flat as long as you want after the viewing. It is unfortunate that my past experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat without any form of confirmation of their seriousness and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Coventry to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work.Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who lives close by, also some do not meet up with the appointments.

Henceforth, my solicitor and i have decided to carry out a simple test on seriousness and financial ability to pay for the rent before coming for viewing. I am not asking you to pay before the viewing but at least, one month rent together with the security deposit of £ 500 which is refundable would be required from you to transfer to someone close to you through Money Gram Post Office using your name as the Sender and your friend or family member's name as the Receiver in the UK premises.Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will forward it to my solicitor to verify if it's truly genuine and available, after verification, i will ask you to inform the receiver to go and pick up the transfer and i will refund the transfer charges immediately after the viewing.

Kindly let me know if my explanation is well understood. Have a wonderful time.I 'll like you to know that,if you can get the transfer done today so that we can proceed with the viewing latest around 5pm in the evening or at your own convenience.

Best Regards
Mr/Mrs Pedro

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#225460 by Michelle Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:53 am
[email protected] - 2014 October 29 13:49:11 EET

Hello,
Thanks for your reply?However you are to sign the contract and bring it with you on the day of the viewing.I have contacted my bank financial officer and i was informed that my bank account is undergoing upgrading and any bank transfer into my bank account would be delay until the process has been finalised.

For this singular reason, i advised that you make the advance payment to my Oversee lawyer, the first month rent of £400 plus the security deposit of £500 (Total: £900). Once you have finalised the transfer, you will email to me the bank transfer confirmation screenshot/receipt for verification.

Here is my lawyer's bank account details;
Account name: Barclays Bank
Account name : L Dogley-Darani
Account number: 03303527
Sort code: 20-80-57

Please let me know when you will get the payment done.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

#236373 by LBB92 Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:27 pm
Hello. I was scammed by this person and went to the police, I don't know if they will fins something but I am still in touch with this person and was able to get some more information, I hope she is caught!
#236375 by Dotti Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:56 pm
Unfortunately, the information you got will also be fake, or will belong to a third party who is only slightly involved.

These scammers do this for a living. They do not use real names, addresses, or anything else that is traceable. If they sent you ID, it will be ID they got from another victim, by persuading her that she needed to send a copy of her ID in order to get an apartment (or a job or a loan.) She won't know anything about the real scammer (who is more likely male than female) either. If they gave you a bank account in the US or Europe, it most likely belongs to a mule. That mule might be a knowing accomplice, but it is equally likely that he/she is another victim who believes they have a legitimate job as a payment processor, personal assistant, mystery shopper, etc.

The scammer himself is sitting in another country, far out of reach of local law enforcement. Local police cannot conduct international investigations. International investigations are very costly and time-consuming, and they require cooperation of other governments. The authorities responsible (in the case of internet crimes, IC3 is the primary group) will typically not even open an investigation unless there are hundreds of thousands of dollars involved.

It is best to cut off all contact with the scammer, and report the crime to IC3 if you haven't done so already. Do not expect anything from your local police, because the crime and investigation are way beyond their scope.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#353239 by Bryon Williams Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:00 pm
Was the email address and name the same?

Also post the emails sent to you. Remove your personal information prior to submitting.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/