Scams selling or giving away non-existent animals, often Puppy Scams.
#148765 by marknjenny1997 Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:49 pm
I have seen listings on multiple sites such as hoobly.com, pets.oodle.com and classifiedads.com. I responded to two ads. I thought the first was a typo and was trying to be helpful, but when I saw the one I below, I knew it was a scam. The ads are similar; here is the one from pets.oodle.com:

DNA baby African Grey Parrots to go for a good and caring families now !!

Price: $300
Description:

DNA baby African Grey Parrots to go for a great and caring families now !!.this birds are just out for rehoming so if interested you can email us back via our email below and also birds are of a male and a female available to go know are veterinarian checked and American kennel club reg and feather are fully breed out with nice behavior of birds please just e-mail back to noellian196 @:_y:_a:_h:_o:_o:_ dot c:_o:_m:_ noellian196 @:_y:_a:_h:_o:_o:_ dot c:_o:_m:_ noellian196 @:_y:_a:_h:_o:_o:_ dot c:_o:_m:_ sixteen - eighteen months old African gray talks a little and makes lots of different noises.
Breed: African Grey Parrot
Category: Birds
Color: Gray
Details: Baby
Sex: Female

Read more: http://pets.oodle.com/detail/dna-baby-a ... z2K3RUDDv5

So of course I had to email them to see what their reply would be:)
None of the following is from my email client - it was all from within the email they sent. Oh, and I am not <removed>. I am guessing that is another person they are trying to scam.

Chat & Mobile Text
I am Offline

Go to Previous message | Go to Next message | Back to Messages
Mark as Unread | Print
Flag this message
Re:Congo African Grey Parrots (Nancy & Kelvin).
Monday, February 4, 2013 7:07 PM
"Noel Lian" <[email protected]>
Add sender to Contacts
To:
<Removed>
Message contains attachments
3 Files (149KB) | Download All

kevin and nancy...........jpgkevin and nancy...........jpg
kevin and nancy.....jpgkevin and nancy.....jpg
kevin and nancy.jpgkevin and nancy.jpg

Hello,
Thanks so much for the mail and interest regarding the parrots we have.We have one male and one female parrots now available and they are 18 months old.They have very good temperament with kids and other pets,very playful,love to play around with toys and kids,they are health guaranteed and DNA registered and are also very tamed.they are up to date on all their shots and dewormings and they will be coming along side with their health papers and vet records.First i wish to let you know that we are giving these parrots out because my mum just died.She is located in BROWNSVILLE TEXAS and all of us are there now.She was the owner of this cute little babies.Since she is now late,We can't keep the parrots here in such condition because each time we see them,we keep thinking of her.So we want to given them out to a lovely and caring home,where they can be treated as such and keep us up dated on monthly progress.These parrots will be coming from BROWNSVILLE TEXAS at my late MUM FARM where we are presently located with this parrots But if you would be able to come over here for the viewing and pick up,we shall be very great full, but if you can't come, we can make arrangements for home delivery service and they will get the parrots delivered at your doorstep.Below are just some few question we asked..
Where are you located?
Do you have any kids ?
Have you ever own a pet before ?
Have you ever own this breed of parrots before?
Why are you interested on this breed?
How soon do you need the parrots over?
Which sex are you interested on?
Sorry for all the question, but we just want to be sure that the parrots are going to the right home and they will be having all the love and attention they need .We are given them out for $300 for one including the delivery and that's all If still interested, yes contact us back for more details of the parrots and i have just attach some pics of the two parrots and i do hope you will love them and hence promise to take very good care of any of this babies cos all that i need is a lovely and caring home for them. i do name them Kevin & Nancy.

Sent from my iPod.
LIAN
3 attachments — Download all attachments View all images Share all images
kevin and nancy...........jpg kevin and nancy...........jpg
69K View Share Download
kevin and nancy.....jpg kevin and nancy.....jpg
10K View Share Download
kevin and nancy.jpg kevin and nancy.jpg
69K View Share Download

Notice: The say in the ad that they are in Michigan, but in the email, they claim to be in Texas. Also, the ad says the birds are AKC registered. Last time I checked, AKC is for purebreed dogs. Just to see what they say, I emailed them back to ask when I could stop in to see the babies :lol: I'll probably keep emailing them and stringing them along as long as possible to waste their time. Everyone please beware and watch for signs - you can usually identify scammers from Africa by the language. You can tell they are not just bad at grammar, but English is not their first language. Another hint: you can't tell from the above because it was reformatted when I pasted it in, but the email was not typed in the email client; it was copied from somewhere else and pasted in. Even the "sent from iPod" line was fake. This indicates they are either sending so many emails they started to copy and paste, or they are trying to convey something - though I don't know what!

I hope this helped!
Advertisement

#149502 by vonpaso xlura Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:50 pm
They're obviously not in Michigan or Texas, but in Africa, and would be ficelled in red tape and sucked dry by Shelob before they got any of their nonexistent parrots through customs and APHIS, as they're a vulnerable species.

Please don't keep talking to scammers unless you have taken the appropriate precautions that the scammers have no true information about you. For more details, see http://www.419eater.com. Oh, and don't tell them what grows on a late mum farm.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#149513 by Jillian Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:18 am
Welcome, and thank you for posting this information to help others.
Note that they have included their email address all spaced out in their ad, because they are not supposed to include email addresses, they are supposed to communicate through the site.

As vonpaso xlura has said, please do not continue to communicate with the scammer, just stop all contact. What you're considering doing, wasting the scammer's time and resources, is considered scambaiting, and should only be done anonymously. Please do visit 419Eater if you're interested in learning more about baiting.
Meanwhile, please let us know if you have any questions about the scam. :D

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners