Scams selling or giving away non-existent animals, often Puppy Scams.
#47794 by nelkausa Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:38 pm
I have been scammed. I was going to buy 2 puppies for my daughters, from a place called British Cameroon, which isn't even a real location! They were going to ship me the puppies for $300, but the adoption fee was free. and they were going to have me send money through Western Union. They have my address and phone number, What should I do?
Advertisement

#47801 by Dotti Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:13 pm
It sounds like you discovered the scam before you sent money? If so, I'm glad to hear that. And of course, just to be perfectly clear--the puppies do not exist. If they sent you photos, they were photos that were simply stolen off the internet.

As far as the scammers having your name and phone number goes, no need to worry. That information is not enough for identity theft or anything like that. The truth is, that same information is available about millions of people online anyway on sites like whitepages.com. Just cut off all contact with the scammers. If you want, tell them you decided to get a puppy locally. If they contact you, just ignore them. If they threaten you with the FBI or a lawsuit or any other nonsense like that (some of these scammers do), just continue to ignore them. You have done nothing wrong--they are the scammers and thieves. If you get any emails that are supposedly from the FBI or other authorities, ignore those too, as they will simply be the scammers posing as authorities.

The only other thing you need to be aware of is that you may become a target for other scams. Just make sure you are vigilant about researching offers, and don't stress over it.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.