Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#4188 by brithilton Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:54 am
Hi,
I have been reading through a lot of the topics in this forum and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

My friend received a few days ago an email claiming to be someone working for Dalston Mill Fabrics in the UK and with the usual scam of we need someone overseas to cash our payments for us and you keep 10% of this.

I only found out tonight that my friend sent her name, address and phone number back to the scammer and now is awaiting the check.

What should she do? Will she ever receive a check or even if she doesn't she has just sent out a lot of personal information.

The scammers email is: [email protected]

I set up a fake email address and emailed the scammer asking about the "book keeping" job so I could get the info from the scammer in the header of the email.

Thanks for your time,

Brit
Advertisement

#4189 by benjamin Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:08 am
Hi Brit and welcome.

If your friend has just sent address and phone number there isn't too much to worry about except that she will be pestered by other scams from now on.

When the check arrives, there are several options - either just tear the check up, or hand it unopened, complete with packaging to the postal inspectors or police - there's always a possibility they may be able to trace where it came from. It goes without saying that on no account should she attempt to pay it in to a bank.

The scammers may be persistent in demanding the payment back, but your friend should just totally ignore them, or at the most say the bank has declared it fake and she wants nothing more to do with them. They can be persistent, but they will give up eventually.

I hope that helps :)

#4190 by Ralph Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:59 am
Hi Brit,

Welcome to Scamwarners.

I have done a few google searches on the information you have provided, for one of the more interesting results Click Here

It appears this company is used fairly extensively by scammers.

I dont understand why but fabric companies seem to be used quite often.

As Benjamin has suggested, there is little that can be done about the information that has been passed on, many victims of fraud pass on their details every day, we certainly dont recommend this however there isn't too much to worry about.

Your friend can expect scam emails personally addressed to her using the details she has provided them.

After ignoring the scammer for a time your friend may also recieve a threatening email apparently from the police or some other law agency, these emails will be another scam designed to encourage money to be sent.

As for the check, they sometimes will not turn up, this is mainly due to the fake check being intercepted due to payment with stolen credit cards but chances are it will arrive.

Many people choose to keep the fake check as a reminder of the scam, if this is the case be sure that FAKE is clearly written accross it, being in posession of a fraudulent financial instrument is an offence in most parts of the world, writing fake on it will prevent any future concerns

It may also help to have your friend pay us a visit, we are always happy to answer questions and realy appreciate any feedback

Thanks for posting and feel free to ask if you have any questions

Edit, fixed clicky
Last edited by Ralph on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#4203 by brithilton Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:30 pm
Thanks Benjamin and Ralph for your responses! They are both really helpful and informative. I told my friend all about this site and your responses and she is grateful and is going to be a lot careful next time with responding back to scam emails. Hopefully they instantly get deleted asap!

Many thanks,
Brit