Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#396946 by kerofbi Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:51 am
The scammers posted a listing on Angel List posing as Diane Scalia (the real owner) of Melting Pot Food Tours (the real company) looking for an Accounts Payable Clerk. The listing has since been taken down, but the first email I received from them was:

Hello Applicant,

Thanks for applying to the Accounts Payable Clerk job with the Company through Angel. We'd like to set up an interview with you. Your details have been forwarded to Mr Todd Freeman, who will be in-charge of your interview session. He will be conducting the interview with you via our online resource to discuss the job details, pay scale and benefits.

Starting Friday at 9:00AM - 7:00PM ( Open IM Session hours)

The interview is scheduled to last approximately [25-35 minutes] which will take the form of a regular IM session on (Google Hangouts App).

You are to set up a Gmail ID ( if you don't have one already ) to commence with the Interview Session then you instant message his screen-name: [email protected] to join the Google Hangouts App interview session ASAP. Goodluck !

- Diane

I then conducted an online interview with Todd (I can post the full details of that, although it is a bit lengthy) online, and was accepted.

Later on, the offer letter supposedly came from HR, but the trick was that the real site is meltingpottours.com, but the email came from [email protected].

It was difficult for me to notice that there were 3 t's in a row in the fake email address when there should have only been 2 in a row. The email body text is as follows:

DEAR: David Chang,

Welcome to Melting Pot Food Tours. I'm James Bradley, One of the supervisors of Melting Pot Food Tours Company, attached to this e-mail is your Employment Contract Offer Letter. We hope that you will accept our offer to join the company. You may indicate your agreement with these terms and accept this offer by signing and dating the agreement letter and returning them to me. This offer, if not accepted, will expire at the close of business date on 09/09/2019. As required by law, Your employment with the Company is contingent upon your providing legal proof of any of your identity ID Card and authorization to work in the United States e.g. driver licenses. Your employment is also contingent upon your starting work with the Company on or before 09/09/2019. If accepted you are to print it out, sign, scan or you are to sign it electronically and email it back for record purposes.

Email : [email protected]
Fax : (800) 500-0876

Best Regards

Mr. James Bradley
HR Department
Advertisement