The scammer's basic kit; photos of widows and orphans, passports, certificates and court documents, all guaranteed 100% fake or stolen
#28099 by abrahamd2k Thu May 06, 2010 5:09 pm
Hi I'm new to the Scamwarners!
I'm in the process of being scammed now.. Having fun with this guy for the moment. unfortunately I found out about scam-baiting and that I was being scammed before I sent him my real contact information so I need to play this one out differently. I need to play the starving artist with no money for him to leave me alone. But I'll wait for the next one and I'll be ready to do business! Yes.. I found a new game!
By the way his his ID he sent me.

Anyone else seen this ID let me know how this guy works. He's trying to purchase an art piece I have.
-Abrahamd2k
Advertisement

#28100 by Ralph Thu May 06, 2010 6:09 pm
Hi Abraham, welcome to Scamwarners.

Seeing as this person has your real information, its by far best to leave it and dont reply, convincing a scammer that you have no money will not stop them from trying to get money from you, even the poorest people can and indeed do sell, borrow, steal or not feed the kids a few nights to find money for scammers and the scammers know it. Just ignore him and he will go away.

If you do like the idea of deliberately writing to scammers, then you should take a look at http://www.419eater.com it's a website devoted to wasting the time of scammers and having fun doing it, they will teach you how to do it safely and effectively.

If you have any questions (not relating to baiting scammers, you can ask those at 419eater) please feel free to ask.
#28106 by abrahamd2k Thu May 06, 2010 11:35 pm
What should I do when his check arrives to my house? Keep it as evidence for the authorities. I've reported this to the IC3.gov already and I'm waiting on their reply. But since I have not been victimized yet there's nothing anybody can do but just to play along and waste their time and try not get burned in the process.
I would love so much to upset his life like the way he's doing mine. Well at lease I had the common sense to catch it before it got worse but I'm still kicking myself for letting go my contact info.
That what I get for not trusting my gut feeling.
-Abrahamd2k
#28108 by Ralph Fri May 07, 2010 12:03 am
Dont be too concerned, it's done now and it may have been much worse.

There are 3 options for if the cheque arrives, presuming it does arrive;

Destroy it, rip it into small pieces, burn it, put it in the blender if you like, just make sure it cant be used.

Take it to the authorities, in some cases the police are able to use these, take it complete (unopened if possible) to your local police station and explain how you came by it, it wouldn't hurt to take some of the printed emails with you as well.

Write the word FAKE in big letters on both sides and display it prominantly in your home or office, when people ask about the cheque you will be able to explain how you came by it, by telling people about your experience you may be able to save them from being scammed in the future.

Just be sure you do write "fake" on it if you do keep it, it is an offence to have a fake cheque in your posession without being clearly marked as a fake.
#28110 by Dotti Fri May 07, 2010 12:16 am
That's a nice example of your typical African scammer's grasp of English. Either the ID came from a joke site, or it was sent to a scammer by a baiter. Just look at the occupation and religion for starters.

Also, last I checked, "Lite" wasn't a weight, and "shifty" wasn't an eye color. The scammer wouldn't have understood the meaning of "shifty eyes" or the "liteweight". Unfortunately, neither would many people from non-English speaking countries, or even Americans who aren't paying attention!

Ralph did a good job of describing what to do. I would only add two things--first, if you mark the check fake and keep it, make sure the "fake" is nice and big. Second, if the check does look authentic and the bank is American, it can't hurt to contact them, as it may be written on a phished bank account--and they might not realize it yet.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#35606 by Jed Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:51 pm
I am also new to this site - it is awesome. In looking at his "National ID" I noted this his religion is "Bohemian". I was unaware that Bohemian was a religion - just a part of the Czech Republic!