If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#261644 by Roujin Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:24 pm
Has anyone had dealings with a Samone Turnbull from NZOG?
I'm Selling my car and was contacted by this guy by phone yesterday. He advised me that he is buying the car for his son who graduated from Avionics Western Australia and is going to put $2500 in my account (I gave details of an account that is always empty) some of what he said looks familiar in another post
E.g:

On Monday, July 27, 2015, Samone Turnbull <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project work, we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.

I am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Aviation University in Western Australia ,I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra $200.00 for you just to take down the posting..I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day, am a (Operating Manager) am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through Account to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .

Await your reply

I've been told this is some sort of overpay scam but that really doesn't make sense. Need some advice.
Advertisement

#261645 by vonpaso xlura Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:36 pm
The writer is West African and the message is a common scam script. Ignore him.

What he wants to do is send you a fake PayPal message saying that the payment will be held until you ship, or send you stolen money and have you forward part of it to the freight company, who is another character played by the scammer. The son does not exist, he is not in New Zealand, and he doesn't know what a kupe is.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#261755 by Joel 79 Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:02 am
Hi, I just got the same exact email wanting to buy my car I have for sale on Gumtree.
Thanks for posting your experience as it confirmed my denial of the sale thinking it was suspect.

I was curious about it as they wanted to send me money straight away. Now I know it would have caused some drama.

Cheers
#261857 by Roujin Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:10 am
Not a problem. It became apperent yesterday when he started to demand that I pay $950 to an Agent in China before Paypal would release any money. I know for a fact that Paypal doesnt withhold payments in that manner.I have reported this scam to [email protected] also I have reported it to the Australian Federal Police. The other thing that made me suspect was the fact that the man couldn't spell (I never heard of an oil rig manager that has poor grammar and spelling) Also that he claimed to be a New Zealander but had no clue where to throw the word mate about ( I have met Americans that know more about Australia/ New Zealand than this guy ).
It is a must that if you get this report to send it to the federal police and to advise paypal
#262611 by Warywhitney Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:33 am
I know you guys posted this a little while ago but a similar thing happened to me today, with 2 different 'people' can they do anything with just the email address my PayPal is linked to? The latest dodgies are

michelle tony
[email protected]

And
Sheryl Smith
[email protected]

Thank you for your posts!!
#262638 by vonpaso xlura Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:15 pm
All they do with the address is send a fake PayPal message to it. They have no way of knowing whether there is an account connected to it.

Could you post the emails sent by these new addresses?

#262674 by Warywhitney Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:44 pm
Thanks for your reply and am glad to know that it is still available for sale.However i have few questions on the item you are selling.

1,I would like to know the reason why you are selling it?
2,Do you have the original box for it?
3,what is the present condition of the item and is it ok to be a gift?
4,Do you mind if i pay you through paypal though i would be willing to add an extra dollars to cover

the shipping because am not local at the moment i am out of town on a rig offshore and i would like to purchase this item as a gift for someone very special to me at overseas.
If you do not have a PayPal account, you can do so by going to www.PayPal.com and set up your account it is free,easy and

guarantees transaction safety.Once you send me your paypal email account, I will send you the payment for your item as well as $90 to cover shipping via Auspost Express Mail Service.
I would be glad if my request is favorably considered,few more photos will be appreciated as well.
Thanks

- 'sheryl smith'

Thanks for the quick response,i am okay with the condition likewise your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering to others I've seen lately, I'll have it for the listed price but i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the moment and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i am not with my credit card details here but i have my bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through PayPal to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account,please get back to me with your bsb number,account number and account name or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.
Await your reply
Cheers .............

- 'michele tony'
#262675 by Warywhitney Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:30 pm
Should I report them somewhere? I'm so glad I checked for scams, they really do make themselves sound legit with wanting pics etc, lucky I'm naturally suspicious of everyone
#262677 by vonpaso xlura Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:08 pm
Don't try to shut down the email addresses. You've posted them here, so others who get email from those addresses will find out that it's a scam. If you get them shut down, the scammer will create new addresses and the warning you've posted won't work anymore.