What's new in the world of scams and ScamWarners.
#5233 by 126 REIG Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:10 pm
I do not know if your Internet carrier provides a link (details) about the IP address of the sender of the email you have just received. I am going to illustrate how you can verify the location of the sender using "AOL" system.

When you receive an email, look at the following:
1. The email address (name and internet carrier).
2. Date
3. Your email address
4. Subject
5. And, at the bottom, it will read "details".

Click on details and it will show you.
a) The email address (the real name)
b) The IP address (for example: 208.22.212.22)

Write the IP addresses on a piece of paper and go to this link:
http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?Getlocation

Then press "enter".

This program will tell you exactly from which location the email originated.

For example, if the sender tells you he is located in UK and the IP locator tells you it came from Nigeria....Run !

Now you have some type of tool to help you defend yourself from scammers. And remember, if the deal is too good, most likely it is a scam.

Advertisement

#5277 by Holly Brown Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:05 pm
Just a little side note - Hotmail Classic does not offer that option. I don't know about the newer version, as I can't use it.

#5278 by 126 REIG Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:14 pm
Titania wrote:Just a little side note - Hotmail Classic does not offer that option. I don't know about the newer version, as I can't use it.

I believe "Bill3" already answered your question.

Here is a portion of his response (you must click on the link he provided you).

"Hotmail
Go to Options
Go to Preferences
Scroll down to Headers,
then click on Advanced Headers"

#5279 by Crispy Duck Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:22 pm
Actually, Hotmail/Live Classic do not give you headers. This is a quote I have found:

How to view email headers in Hotmail Classic?
(If you login to your email using Windows Live then follow the instructions outlined in the next paragraph.)

• Click on "Options" tab on the top navigation bar.
• Under Options you will see the following message, "You are using the classic version of Windows Live Hotmail. Have a fast connection and want more features? Try the full version to see message previews in your inbox. (It's free, too.)"
• Click on the "Try the full version" link.
• Click on "I want the Free Upgrade..", button
• To view the full email message header, right click the email message displayed in your list of messages. A menu will pop-up. Click on the View source option in this menu, and a new window will open. This window will display the full email headers.

How to view email headers in Windows Live Hotmail ?

When you log into your email account please check to make sure that you are not using the Classic version of Windows Live Hotmail. If you are using the classic version then you need to choose the full version to view headers. To choose the full version follow the steps below.
• Click on "Options" tab on the top navigation bar.
• Under Options you will see the following message, "You are using the classic version of Windows Live Hotmail. Have a fast connection and want more features? Try the full version to see message previews in your inbox. (It's free, too.)"
• Click on the "Try the full version" link.
• Click on "I want the Free Upgrade..", button
• The new Windows Live Hotmail looks and functions very much like Microsoft Outlook. To view the full email message header, right click the email message displayed in your list of messages. A menu will pop-up. Click on the View source option in this menu, and a new window will open. This window will display the full email headers.

#5280 by Holly Brown Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:43 pm
Thank you, CD. I knew I wasn't crazy or that totally technologically inept. :D

I get scads of spam and (probably) scam in one of my Hotmail accounts, but I can't tell from whence it comes. So I just delete them.