What's new in the world of scams and ScamWarners.
#337869 by Bryon Williams Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:43 am
http://www.wral.com/-sneaky-secret-shop ... /16911536/

'Sneaky' secret shopper scams are claiming more victims

RALEIGH, N.C. — A sneaky ongoing type of scam called the "secret shopper scam" is affecting people like xxxxxx, who says she can't believe she fell for it.

Many retailers -- including restaurants, shops and supermarkets -- hire real secret shoppers to assess their businesses, but some scammers have been creating a fake secret shopper service to steal money from their "employers."

If scammers are keen enough, this crime can be hard to detect, and xxx wants to prevent similar scams from happening to others.

It all started when xxxx said she got an email that looked like it was from Kroger. Since she regularly shops at the grocery store, and used to work there, it didn't seem weird at all.

The questions asked in the email were not suspicious either. "They didn't ask for a credit card number or bank account number, so there were no red flags," said xxx.

Days later, xxxxx "secret shopper" packet arrived with a cashier's check for $2,350 dollars. It added up to $50 to buy groceries, $300 to answer questions about her experience and the unusual part -- $2,000 to buy 20 iTunes gift cards worth $100 each.

"That seemed a little strange, but I've never been a secret shopper, so I didn't know what would have been out of the realm of possibilities," said xxxxx.

It was when her "supervisor" texted her to scratch the cards and send pictures with the redemption codes exposed that xxxxx started to feel more unsure.

"I thought maybe I shouldn't do it; maybe I should just tell him to back off," said xxx. "But again, I was like maybe I'm just being paranoid."

When the funds for the gift cards showed up in her checking account, xxx sent photos of the iTunes cards by email. Two days later, the money she got to buy them was gone.

"My heart just fell through the floor," said xxxx. "I said this can't be right, it was there last night." While xxx used the $50 worth of groceries, she was out $2,000 for the iTunes cards.

A quick online search shows victims keep getting hit by secret shopper scams.

In fact, the North Carolina Attorney General's Office has already received 47 complaints in 2017, and nine people permanently lost more than $34,400.

Research shows scammers often operate from foreign countries that usually cooperate with the law, and their persistent. Even after xxxxtold the scammer she was done, she said he continued to text and email, trying to convince her to continue.

Experts are sharing the following practices to make sure you don't get caught in the same scam:

Know that legit companies don't usually seek out mystery shoppers
Pay for real secret shoppers is usually only $5 to $20 dollars a trip, and many just cover expenses for an assignment
Although banks must make certain check funds available within two days, "available" does not mean the check is good
According to financial advisers, verifying that a check is good can take weeks. And, until a bank confirms the actual check is cleared, users are responsible for any money they withdraw.

"I'm mad at them, and I'm mad at myself for falling for it," said xx. "I really should have just listened to those red flags."

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#337871 by Bryon Williams Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:00 am
Pay for real secret shoppers is usually only $5 to $20 dollars a trip, and many just cover expenses for an assignment

These job are very very very rare. You will not get a random email or find these job on Craigslist or any other classified ad.

You will not spend your own money nor forward any money by any means including prepaid cards.

You will not test Western Union, Moneygram or any other money transfer services.

It takes weeks sometimes months for your bank to learn that the deposited check is fake/fraud.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#337873 by Bryon Williams Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:36 am
https://www.ic3.gov/media/2010/100120.aspx
MYSTERY/SECRET SHOPPER SCHEMES
The IC3 has been alerted to an increase in employment schemes pertaining to mystery/secret shopper positions. Many retail and service corporations hire evaluators to perform secret or random checks on themselves or their competitors, and fraudsters are capitalizing on this employment opportunity.

Victims have reported to the IC3 they were contacted via e-mail and U.S. mail to apply to be a mystery shopper. Applicants are asked to send a resume and are purportedly subject to an extensive background check before being accepted as a mystery shopper. The employees are sent a check with instructions to shop at a specified retailer for a specific length of time and spend a specific amount on merchandise from the store. The employees receive instructions to take note of the store's environment, color, payment procedures, gift items, and shopping/carrier bags and report back to the employer. The second evaluation is the ease and accuracy of wiring money from the retail location. The money to be wired is also included in the check sent to the employee. The remaining balance is the employee's payment for the completion of the assignment. After merchandise is purchased and money is wired, the employees are advised by the bank the check cashed was counterfeit, and they are responsible for the money lost in addition to bank fees incurred.

In other versions of the scheme, applicants are requested to provide bank account information to have money directly deposited into their accounts. The fraudster then has acquired access to these victims' accounts and can withdraw money, which makes the applicant a victim of identity theft.

Tips
Here are some tips you can use to avoid becoming a victim of employment schemes associated with mystery/secret shopping:

Do not respond to unsolicited (spam) e-mail.
Do not click on links contained within an unsolicited e-mail.
Be cautious of e-mail claiming to contain pictures in attached files, as the files may contain viruses. Only open attachments from known senders. Virus scan all attachments, if possible.
Avoid filling out forms contained in e-mail messages that ask for personal information.
Always compare the link in the e-mail to the link you are actually directed to and determine if they match and will lead you to a legitimate site.
There are legitimate mystery/secret shopper programs available. Research the legitimacy on companies hiring mystery shoppers. Legitimate companies will not charge an application fee and will accept applications on-line.
No legitimate mystery/secret shopper program will send payment in advance and ask the employee to send a portion of it back.
Individuals who believe they have information pertaining to mystery/secret shopper schemes are encouraged to file a complaint at www.IC3.gov.