What's new in the world of scams and ScamWarners.
#292015 by DSpencer Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:04 am
I just posted a message in the thread of a query on this web site (ScamWarners) where a comment was recommending checking out the very useful site 'dragonladies.org' for information and assistance in dealing with potential or known Asian (specifically Chinese and Filipina) on-line dating scammers. I will summarize in this topic area what I wrote.
Initially (starting I think about mid to late March, 2016, maybe a little earlier) attempting to go to http://dragonladies.org ended at a page from the website's host indicating the web site had been suspended and requested the DL.org webmaster to contact them. Then about mid April, 2016, the URLs http://dragonladies.org and http://www.dragonladies.org actually started opening a home page, but definitely not the correct one. The bottom line is that the original DL.org site has disappeared and the domain name taken over by a totally different home page, that seems to vary, with various internal links, and the web site is now essentially a promotion for various on-line dating sites plus an odd assortment of other businesses. In other words there is nothing of the original 'dragonladies.org' web site remaining. I have done some network-based investigation and I don't think that this is a case of the domain name(s) having been high-jacked, but I have no inside information about what has happened and whether the old DL.org will ever resurface. The original website had several admins (from what I know) but only C.A.B. (insiders in this community will know whom I'm referring to) actually was a frequent poster in the DL forums. I do not have any way of contacting him or the other principals behind DL.org although I do know that a few years ago one or more of the admins of DL set up the on-line dating site 'AsianLonelyHearts.com'; it is still on-line, although it doesn't seem very active, but I cannot be sure whether the originals are still running it.
By posting this here this important information will be available in a searches at this web site (as well as through Google) and hopefully that will alert people trying to reach the old DL.org web site to what has happened.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Disabled links to the parked site
Advertisement

#292016 by Terminator5 Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:10 am
Thanks for the update . I'll have to check it out . Hopefully they are doing as well as the original one I remember from a few years ago . Thx for the post .

Daniel 8 :25
#292017 by Terminator5 Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:43 am
Looks to me to be a holding page . expiring in January 2017. Privacy protected but not unusual for an anti scam site . Anti scam sites are not big money makers .We'll have to wait and see what crops up on that page .

Daniel 8 :25
#292036 by HillBilly Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:42 am
I've written to the owner of the site, I'll post an answer of what is going on with it with the owner's permission.

#292039 by DSpencer Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:01 pm
Glad to know someone has actual contact info for at least one of the moderators/admins of DL. As HillBilly notes the 'whois' entry for 'dragonladies.org' (which doesn't seem to have changed in the last few months) is protected. As I was trying to figure out what was going on with DL it finally occurred to me (maybe a "duh!" moment) that the 'face' of the moderators on DL, the name that was attached to many posts and comments (Cal A. Baugh), was probably not of a real person. It is odd (well to me) that Cal A. Baugh has a Facebook page (inactive and simply showing the old DL logo) and also a 'LinkedIn' profile (also more or less empty except for mention of dragonladies.org). I assume that there is/was some strategic reason for those two accounts. There is also an account on Google+ (although not very active) of someone listed as 'Scum Baiter' who I infer is from DL as well. I did leave a comment there asking about 'dragonladies.org' but that account doesn't seem to be actively used recently and I got no response.
#292066 by HillBilly Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:35 pm
there seems to be a temporary issue with the host at dragonladies.org. It is still owned / managed by the same person / people. hopefully it can be resolved soon. :D

in the meantime, if there is a romance scam you want to ask about, why not post about it in the help forum here? we may not specialize in Asian scams, but for the most part they have a lot in common with other types of scams.

#311245 by DSpencer Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:59 pm
HillBilly wrote:there seems to be a temporary issue with the host at dragonladies.org. It is still owned / managed by the same person / people. hopefully it can be resolved soon. :D

in the meantime, if there is a romance scam you want to ask about, why not post about it in the help forum here? we may not specialize in Asian scams, but for the most part they have a lot in common with other types of scams.

I'm interested to know if anyone here at 'scamwarners' has had any recent contact with the 'dragonladies.org' folks. It is now Nov., 2016, and I am starting to conclude that the site will not be returning, which is unfortunate because I think it was a useful resource and had been available for several years and specialized in Chinese and Filipino scammer advice. I just checked the website "www.asianlonelyhearts.com", which was set up a couple of years ago by one or more of the people running 'dragonladies.org' as an attempt at offering a scammer-free online dating site, and I note that URL is now also gone.