Information on romance scams and scammers.
#19738 by crocky Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:58 am
Dotti wrote:Welcome Crocky,
I'm glad this site has been helpful to you. You said you received an email identical to one on this forum, which means it is most likely a scammer, but since scammers do sometimes copy the profiles and emails of real people, we do need a little more information to confirm. What name is this person using? Do they have a profile on a dating site or a social networking site you can point us to? Were you given any phone numbers? Could you post the email with headers so we can try to get a handle on the location?

What got me is the difference in wording. Here are 2 differnet emails of supposedly the same person
Dear XXXX,
How you doing as am doing good and everything is okay here as i hope you also doing well and great.
I do not know how to express the conflicting emotions that have surged like a storm through my heart all night long. I only know that first and foremost in all my thoughts has been the glorious confirmation you gave me last night - without effort, unconsciously, of course - of all I have ever thought of your mind and heart.

You have the greatest soul, the noblest nature, the sweetest, most loving heart I have ever known, and my love and admiration for you have increased so much since we’ve known each other that it still amazes me.

You are more wonderful and lovely in my eyes; and my pride and joy and gratitude that you should love me with such a perfect love are beyond all expression.

Thanks very much for your lovely pictures also you really looking good and i thank God we find each other so let as be good to each other as i hope and believe something good will surely going to come out in the future.Because you mean a lot to me and i will be much happy to get to know more about you and later plan to meet you anywhere you chose to meet me okay.

About coming online email me your time you can so i can check and see here because i don't know the time difference okay i think that will help.So i will end here and wait for your next email but all the same thanks for your pictures.

Linda Annan
P.O. Box 127
North Kaneshie
Accra-Ghana
West/Africa

+233241450694

And here is the other one:

My Darling thanks very much for your lovely and kind email i hope all is well with you as am doing good here.
First of all i thank God for your safety trip i wish i know you for long so i can meet you there but all the same it okay for me as i wish to meet you one day and get to know more of you as am serious about you and i really do like all the emails from you as it always sound much more then what i was expecting thanks very much for being good to me Ron.
I also promise never to hurt you or make you sad when we come together as husband and wife one day.

Is late here so i will leave you here and wait for you my Dear because chatting online also will help as answer each other questions but one think i don't have and i don't know it that is going to be problem is webcam as you said my Dear i don't have one and i think that will not bring any problem or make you loose hope in me my Dear all what we need is trust and love okay so let me know how you feel about that okay take care and have a lovely day.

I will try get you more pictures tomorrow too as that will help since i don't have webcam okay.

Linda

I would feel bad if it's not a hoax but I think it is suspicious

Fixed quotes, removed members name - michelle
Advertisement

#19934 by Holly Brown Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:36 pm
Crocky, the first email you posted was mainly script stolen from elsewhere on the internet - in this case a letter written by Woodrow Wilson in 1915. That's why the grammar and syntax is so much better than in other parts of her emails. That in itself sounds like a scammer to me. The English usage in the "un-borrowed" portions sounds West African.

No doubt the headers of the emails would show she is in Ghana, as she is not pretending to be anywhere else. Is she presenting herself as a Ghanian, or does she say she is from the US or the UK and currently in Ghana? If she is claiming to be a Caucasian (and sending you pics of a Caucasian woman), that would explain her lack of a webcam. She (and even the "she" is doubtful - many West African scammers are men, and some pretend to be women online) looks nothing like the pictures she has sent you - and you asked for more, which she has to find, as she stole the first ones from the internet as well.

A Google search on phrases from her initial contact with you might show you several instances of the same email being sent to others, probably on sites dealing with internet scam.

[email protected] if you want to ask me more questions.
#19959 by crocky Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:14 pm
Just as we thought here is the next letter and the email address is changed to this: Linda Annan <[email protected]>

My Dear
How are you doing as am doing good and everything is okay with me here just that i really mean much to meet you in personal so we can plan for the rest of our future coming..

My Dear am having a little problem at work and i wanted to ask of your help?
is about my bills i need to pay it last three day but because of my Auntie sicking i use that money settle the hospital balls my Dear so am asking you if you can help me so they will not disconnect my power okay...I will try send you some pictures after done with my cooking okay take care and let me hear from you soon.

Linda

We'll find out what the little problem is soon enough

Cheers
Crocky
#19961 by The Enchantress Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:23 pm
Thank You for posting this mail and the scammers new mail address crocky.

This is a definite scam and my advice to you is to cease all contact and do not send any money.

Please post any questions or concerns - a support team member will help you.

This guide may help you http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3607

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#19995 by crocky Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:53 am
Here is the next one, I have no intention sending any money, I think I might ask them to send me money!
It''s probably a good idea to show these letters to people, gives them an idea how it evolves>

My only Darling
Add to Contacts
To: Removed email address - Ralph
Hi XXXXX Thanks very much for your reply back as am doing good and i hope you also doing well my Dear...My Love is about my internet and our house bill so am asking of your help if you can help me with some money to settle it so they will not disconnect my internet and the house light that is all i need baby so please try if you can help me okay..

So which country are you now as i really miss you and i wish we know each other for long so we can plan and go together i will end here and wait for your reply soon my Dear so if anything email me and let me know okay the money is $200 take care and let me know how you are doing okay have a great day..

Linda
#20000 by Ralph Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:45 am
Hi Crocky

Scammers are criminals and can be dangeerous, this one has your real name and no doubt other details can be found as well about you from the information you have provided.

Please do not continue writing to this scammer.

If you absolutely must write to scammers, then I suggest you visit the romance section at www.419eater.com where you can learn to do it safely.

Please also be mindful of what you post online, I have removed your name and email address from your post for your safety :wink:

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask
#20002 by The Enchantress Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 am
Posting this scammers mail address <unbracketed> to enable search engines to read it.

[email protected]

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.