Information on romance scams and scammers.
#265879 by Sammyjo74 Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:43 pm
Hi,
I met a guy claiming to be Dr Charles Becker, I'd MWR21, from American Canyon, California. He is ment to be 41 a widow with a 14 year old daughter.
I met him on tagged and then we talked for a couple of weeks on messenger. We then moved onto talking on viber and sending pictures. He is very convincing. He said he had used all his leave so I would have to send an email to militaryselfcare@hotmail to ask for emergency leave. I received emails back saying that the request had gone to the emergency leave officer. I finally received a email saying it had been approved but I would have to choose which amount of time I wanted with him and send the correct amount of money. I would also have to pay for the flights. I would have to send it to western union.
When I told him I couldn't afford it he told me to borrow off other people. I have not sent any money.
Has anyone heard of Dr Charles Becker and if so is it a scam or not as I have fallen in love with the person in the picture.
Advertisement

#265882 by Bryon Williams Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:29 pm
Yes, It is a scam.

People, family nor friends need to pay for Soldiers/ Military personnel to go on leave, talk on the phone, flights or use the computer. They are provided to the member.

The Military provides everything a Soldier needs. Soldiers do not have the time to chat online while deployed. The little time they have is used to communicate with family.

Everything said by the person you are in contact with is a lie. The scammer is playing all roles.

Do not confront the scammer. He will never admit it. He will only keep lying to you. The best thing to do is block him from your email address and/or ignore his text or phone calls.

Please keep in mind, now that he has your email address. He may contact you with a different name and email address.

Never send money via Western Union, Money Gram or Bank Transfer to anyone you met over the internet.

Please post the email address, pictures and a couple emails he sent you. Please remove your personal information blot/deface any faces of children. This will help others when they do a search.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#265886 by HillBilly Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:44 pm
Sammyjo74 wrote: is it a scam or not as I have fallen in love with the person in the picture.

Hi and welcome to scamwarners, Sammyjo74. As Byron said, it is a scam. The stolen picture you have "fallen in love with" is just that, stolen. Most, if not all of the words you have been reading are scripts given to the scammers in a book of "what will work" for these types of romance scams.

Have you ever seen this person live on a video chat program such as Yahoo IM, or Skype? I have my doubts that you have. If you think you have, was it more than a few seconds and a wave? ( they make software that can do that much).

Please read this article viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6527
and all of the footnote articles at the bottom to help you gain an understanding of what is happening to you by this criminal.

I hope you can realize this is a scammer before you lose money to this criminal. Apparently you have already lost part of your heart, and that will need time to heal. Follow Byron's advice for your best outcome, and maybe a few others here that are "recovering romance scam victims" will be able to guide you along the way, too.