Learn about us and introduce yourself
#4150 by Bertha Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:56 am
:? Hello. I've been dooped. but fortunately these jerks didn't get a cent from me...long story.
so here to meet others and get answers or help.
Advertisement

#4151 by Chris Martins Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:46 am
Welcome Bertha!

Glad to hear you avoided losing money. Feel free to post any questions you may have. :D

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#4153 by benjamin Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:16 pm
Welcome Bertha :)

A great way to help is to post any of your scam emails in the appropriate forum, that way, someone who is searching for a name or a phrase will find it.

#4154 by Bertha Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:35 pm
:) Thank you!

#4155 by Bertha Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:41 pm
:o Oh my God!
This scammer just emailed me again and he has taken my bait!
I don't really know what to do?
Where would it be appropriate to post this for help to deal with this scammer! :wink:

#4156 by ChrisSmith Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:22 pm
Bertha. If you're baiting the scammer using a regular email and if he has any of your details, drop him immediately.

If you want to bait him properly, nip over to www.419eater.com. Do a bit of reading, register for the forums and sign up for a mentor over there.
Once you know what you're doing you can then go back at this scammer with a vengeance.

#4157 by Bertha Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:57 pm
Okay. so I should stop communication with scammer immediately.
Then learn to do it well...
then how do i find the same scammer again?
guess i should just head over to the other site.
I've been told by others to contact the authorities...
confused....very confused.

#4158 by Crispy Duck Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:17 pm
Bertha (can I add my 'Welcome' here?) - don't be confused! If you have his email address, simply write to him from a 'safe' (gmail, hushmail etc) address, saying you got his email, you are interested in learning more etc, etc!

Once he gets back into his spiel (as he undoubtedly will), just play him along! The moment he asks for money - for whatever reason - let your inventiveness take over!

At 419eater.com, you can find all sorts of reasons why you can't send money, forms he has to complete etc . . . I have had one on the string for almost 2 months now & I have yet to ask for fotos holding signs, having a picture of themselves with pineapples under their arms - whatever! All this to show their 'sincerity' towards you! :)

You could also drop their name & email address into the appropriate forum (or here, if you want) & someone is bound to take up the challenge :D

#4159 by ChrisSmith Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:40 pm
Bertha.

Just keep his email address safe for the moment. With respect to Crispy, it's probably better that you learn a little about baiting first rather than just wade right in and I guarantee that you'll be able to pick your scammer up again when you're ready to deal with him properly.

As for going to the authorities? If he's a West African scammer, there's not really a lot that can be done as you haven't lost any money to him. The police will probably file your complaint but I'm afraid that's almost certainly as far as it will go.

And yes. If you want to bait, go over to our sister site www.419eater.com. They deal with baiting scammers and making their lives more difficult. Although most of us are also active over at Eater, ScamWarners is more for advice on how to avoid scams and what to do if you're a victim.

I guarantee, you'll receive a warm welcome over at Eater and be hitting lads where it hurts in no time. :wink:

#4160 by Bertha Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:44 pm
:wink: I'm certain someone could take this fool on because I just don't feel confident enough.

He has no idea that I'm aware that what he is doing is a hoax.

I can share what i have with anyone who wants to listen or look at what i have.

#4161 by Bertha Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:45 pm
Thanks then.
I'll be heading over to eaters!!!

#4162 by ChrisSmith Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:52 pm
Good luck!!!
And don't worry about confidence. That'll come with experience.
When you get over there, have a good read of the site - especially the forum "Stickies".
Then (if you like what you see) go here: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122306
and request your mentor. It normally takes a couple of days for one to be assigned to you (enough time to do some more reading) but your lad can wait until then. :wink:
We use the word "mentor" but what they really are is experienced members of the forum who will co-bait with you and teach you the ropes. Use them, they're very good at what they do and will give you a valuable start in our "Sport". 8)

#4163 by Ralph Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:56 pm
Hi Bertha,

I am glad that you realised what was going on before you sent any money, unfortunately not everybody realises and internet fraud is a very big business in certain parts of the world.

If you could post up the scammers details minus your own it will be helpfull to others who may be communicating with your scammer.

Then as already suggested, the friendly members of 419eater will get you on your way to baiting safely.

No need to affraid of baiitng so long as it is done in a safe way you will have many hours of 100% Risky Free entertaining while doing something good for the community.

#4165 by Bubbles Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:41 pm
Hi Bertha, as Ralph said it is helpful to post up this scammer's information in the appropriate section here so that others who might be looking to see if the name he uses is attached to a scam can find it.

Welcome here and well sighted to spot the scam. :D

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.

#4178 by Ted Baker Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:23 pm
Welcome Bertha.

Not really anything I can add to the advice already posted. The others have covered just about everything.

Hope you settle in over at "eater" and enjoy yourself there.