Learn about us and introduce yourself
#204791 by Rajguru Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:18 pm
A lady through Facebook friends requests invited me to become friend. I accepted her request. I asked for her identification. She replied that she is sergeant with US Army at Afghanistan. During chatting she informed that she is a widow and has a child and she needs someone to support her. We had long chats. One day she informed that she has medals and some rewards she got while he assignment in Iraq and Afghanistan and since her camp is at constant threat, she asked me to keep these items safe under my custody.
I gave her my contact address and telephone. After few days she informed me that she will send the box containing medals, rewards, and clothing through courier and the box will have military tag. The box will be collected from their camp in Afghanistan by military approved courier service and delivered to me at my address without any problem. Thereafter I received a mail from Red Cross Courier Service United Kingdom that I have parcel and the courier company would like to authenticate the receiver of the parcel. Subsequently I received another mail from Courier Company that I have to pay certain amount towards Insurance and Administrative charges as these were not paid by the depositor. I contacted the lady, she informed me that I have to pay the requested amount and the medals are very precious for her as it was her life time achievement. I paid the amount to the Courier Service through Money gram on their London UK address. The company acknowledged the same by issuing the receipt. After two days I received another mail asking me to pay huge amount as clearance amount to obtain Yellow Tag. The company sent a Form in the name of US department of Home Land Security. At this time I realized that it is a scam and fraud. I sent message to Red Cross Courier Company that they had informed me earlier that there is no other payment except Insurance and Administrative charges. Now I have received a threatening mail from Courier Company giving ultimatum to pay the clearance amount within 72 hours otherwise they will report the matter to international police that I am involved in money laundering.
With this Forum, I would like to alert about such scam. Does anyone know any investigating agency looking after such scams?
Advertisement

#204811 by AlanJones Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:22 pm
Please post the email addresses, websites and Facebook profiles used by the scammers.

You can report this to your local police, but do not expect them to take any action as the scammers will be overseas and using fake IDs.

Just block their emails and do not respond to them or anyone that claims they can get your money back (they can't, it is gone) or is going to arrest you.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.