Learn about us and introduce yourself
#193791 by spiderboymax Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:03 pm
Just saying hello, I found your site whilst looking up a suspicious email from feature solutions, which turns out to be a money mule service, I have a host of scam emails in my spam boxes and am very grateful for a place to come and investigate such activity. I look forward to being here and wising up to things. just one question though, I always get tempted to reply to scams, I used to be rather offensive but now I just say I am aware of the scam, is this wise or should I just ignore them and delete them ? :oh-joy:
Advertisement

#193820 by David Jansen Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:41 pm
Hello and welcome here.

What you ask about is something we call scambaiting, and the best place to read about that is on our sister site:

http://www.419eater.com/

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#193830 by HillBilly Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:28 pm
spiderboymax wrote:just one question though, I always get tempted to reply to scams, I used to be rather offensive but now I just say I am aware of the scam, is this wise or should I just ignore them and delete them ? :oh-joy:

Hey ya, Spidey
that is a question only you can answer. After you go to 419eater and see what baiting is all about, you can answer your own question. There are good and bad with each choice, you must weigh out which is best for you.

#193836 by vonpaso xlura Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:31 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners!

If you get scam emails and know they are scam, you can post them here so that other people can know that they're scam. You can also post them in the Surplus forum on Eater so that people will bait them.

You should not, however, tell the scammer that you're aware of the scam. He'll ignore you and maybe change his script to be less recognizable as scam.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#194588 by Jillian Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:20 pm
Welcome spiderboymax. :D

As others have said, please do post the scam emails here so they information shows up in searches. Ideally, start a new topic for each scam email, using the name the scammer is using as a subject line, and include email headers. Make sure to remove your own info when posting.

About responding to scam emails: You should not respond to the emails that come to your real account. If you are interested in learning how to scambait, please do visit 419Eater.com. Understand, however, that scam baiting should be done anonymously.

To answer your question the way it was phrased: We do not suggest writing back to the scam emails and/or telling the scammer you are aware of the scam.

We're glad to have you join us - please do feel free to ask questions any time.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners