Learn about us and introduce yourself
#191073 by Quatro Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:42 am
Thanks for allowing me to sign up with this forum, although I am Dutch and live in the Netherlands.
Hopefully I can contribute to this forum or at least prevent people, I care about, ending up with trouble and or financial loss.
Advertisement

#191110 by vonpaso xlura Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:57 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners! Scammers target people in various languages. Feel free to post in Dutch if appropriate. I sometimes post in French, Spanish, and mangled (but intelligible) Italian, and there's a thread in mixed English and Tagalog. I should be able to understand at least half of what you say in Dutch.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#191119 by Quatro Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:31 pm
Thank you for the encouragement, and yes scam also happens to people in the Netherlands.

Below something I would like to share!

For a while ago I got a phone call from a Dutch speaking person. My number recognition showed a phone number located in Germany. (Can't remember the exact number but it started with +46)
No matter who's calling me, I always respond with "Hallo" (Dutch for Hello). Also this time. The person on the other end goes: "Hallo, met Mark"
Me: "Hi"
He: "Kunt U mij horen?" (Can you hear me?)

Thinking it was a way to make me say "Ja", I just replied with "Hallo, hallo, haaaaallloooooo, halloooo"
Than he sounded like having a laugh and I hung up the phone.

I have moved to another area in the Netherlands and with this I got another phone number, so I don't get these phone calls for the time being.
#191128 by TerranceBoyce Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:59 pm
I never answer the phone the way my parents taught me to many years ago.

When I answer the phone, even if the caller knows my name and asks

Are you [Mr Boyce] ?

I always ask before answering them

Who's calling ?

If they don't reply I warn them that I will put the phone down.

I do this because the first thing a scammer wants is your identity and if you give him your name to go with the number he has rung, you have already given a stranger useful information. Sellers who make cold calls also like to get you answering questions and if you don't allow the conversation to begin unless they answer you, you have already broken their control of the conversation. If you don't know who or why the person has called when they answer, then you can ask more questions to make them justify the reason for them calling, and you can do this before you identify yourself.

Last week I was rung by the hospital who called to give me some medical results and I refused to identify myself until they had identified themselves first. They're the rules people who call me must obey if they want to speak to me. I may upset a few people but it does mean that 'cold callers' and scammers get nowhere with me.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#191148 by Quatro Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:05 am
I agree with what you are saying.
Sometimes I get a call (mostly a wrong dialed number) than it goes as follows

Me: Hello
Caller: Who's this?
Me: You called this number so you must know! (These kind of people often get aggrivated and I just hangup on them)

In some cases, people meant to call me anyway. But I feel that people invade my privacy from the moment they call me so I may expect some respect from this caller (no matter what college degree they might have!)
#191186 by Jillian Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:04 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners, Quatro!

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#191187 by Quatro Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:16 pm
Jillian wrote:Welcome to ScamWarners, Quatro!

Thank you!
#191247 by Mrv2014 Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:48 am
I'm new here and I would like if anyone can help me. A few weeks ago I began to talk to a person I met at mingle2.com? He tell me he is part of the army of the United States and he is right now in Islamabad, Pakistan. we communicate mostly by email or yahoo chat. I wonder if he is a scammer or not. We exchanged photos. His email is [email protected] and [email protected]. He tell me his name is Shannon Lloyd from New Orleans, Louisiana USA. I'm a little worried because He asked me if I could open an account at the bank because he needed to send me some money so I could buy some things and make some payments for him. So far he has not asked me for personal information, nor has asked me for money, but I would like to know in time whether or not a scammer. Please help me.

Sorry for my english!!!

Mrv2014
#191248 by AlanJones Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:58 am
Hello Mrv2014

He is a definite scammer - no legitimate member of the US armed forces would need someone to open a bank account for them - they have access to their own accounts regardless of where they are deployed.

He is setting you up to be a money mule - victims of other scams will send money to you and you will then use that money to buy stuff for him or send him payments by Western Union. When the other scam victims realise they have been scammed and report it to the authorities, it will be you that the police come looking for.

The best thing to do is stop communicating with him and block him.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.